Old December 5th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.survival
Luke Scharf Luke Scharf is offline

Default Yet another new Email Address.

wrote:
new Email account: swler at live dot com

On the subject of spam, I hope you folks realize that this format is
just as easy to harvest as the regular e-mail address format.... It's
the same grammar (in Computer Science terms), but with a straight-up
substitution for the terms -- and the spam-harvesters have been reading
newsgroups long enough to know to grep for both formats. It's trivial.

Want a real solution? Get a Thawte freemail personal e-mail certificate
(or a similar cert from a competitor). When a enough people do that,
then the e-mail server can just check the cryptographic signature, and
any mail that doesn't have one, or has an incorrect signature, can go to
the suspected-spam folder.

Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Evolution, and other mail clients
already support this kind of thing already support this -- most of you
could send me an encrypted e-mail right now just by pressing the
"security" button in the mail client. (Though my response to won't be
encrypted, unless you get the certificate.)

-Luke