Old December 11th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default HD Radio

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
No. It's that news/talk is mostly on AM so it is the band being
disrupted. I can't make any sense of the approach taken implemented HD
on the AM band so I'm grasping for a reason.

1. AM audiences are declining rapidly
2. AM listener age is increasing each year.
3. AM formats like news / talk, when put on FM, increase younger demos
almost instantly.

I don't see this happening.

All three items can be documented, market by market.

In the case of AM formats moving to FM, there is an ever increasing number
from Charleston, SC, to Tallahassee to Orlando to Panama City to New Orleans
to Pittsburgh to Akron to Phoenix and Salt Lake and DC and Detroit and
Indianapolis and many other markets.

The reason this happens is partly #1 and #2 which force managers of good
formats to realize they are on the wrong band with them, and then the
evidence of #3 from other markets finishes the analysis.

4. This shows the main reason (as does all kinds of research) for the
decline of AM is that it sounds just so bad. HD is an attempt to make it
sound better and make it viable again.

Problem is HD doesn't sound any better.

On my third generation car radio, it sounds much better than analog, and the
signal reach is interference free beyond the analog range.