Old December 17th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default A Short Wave Radio plus a Dipole Antenna can get you The World !

On Dec 16, 11:14 pm, wrote:
-
- Hi
-
- I need help to be able to receive shortwave radio.
-
- I have a BCL 2000 and do not get good reception from Auckland NZ
-
- My major interest is receiving a clear signal from Radio Australia

Glen McP,

A Short Wave Radio plus a Dipole Antenna can get you The World !

Make your own simple Dipole Antenna from Twin Speaker Wire.

Buy a 50-Foot piece of Speaker Wire Stranded # 18~20 AWG.

Strip 1/2" of Insulation from the Two Wires at one end of
the Speaker Wire and Tin {Solder} them. This is now your
Radio-End of the Speaker Wire.

Measure-off 25-feet from the Radio-End of the Speaker Wire
and Tie an Overhand Knot in the Speaker Wire. This is now
your Center Mounting Point for the dipole Antenna.

Starting at the 'other' End of the Speaker Wire and Split
the Two (2) Wires apart down to the Overhand Knot.

-Note- This will give you a Dipole Antenna that is about
50-Feet Tip-to-Tip with Two 25-Feet Arms.

Tie a small 1" Bowline Knot at the End of each of the
Individual {Single} Speaker Wires for Rigging. These
are your Dipole Antenna End-Wires.

Rig the Dipole Antenna with some #18 (1/16") Nylon Braided
Mason Cord "Chalk Line" comes in ~ 250 Feet Spools.

-Note- You have 25 Feet of Twin Speaker Wires as a
feed-in-line from the Dipole Antenna to your Radio.

Position the Dipole so that the Center and Ends are in a
Straight-Horizontal-Line and perpendicular to Australia.

-Tip- Can be Rigged under the Eaves of your House
-if- the House is facing the right direction.

End

Center - - - - - Australia

End

Rig the Dipole Antenna's Center about 18~27 Feet above
the ground; and the Ends 12~18 Feet above the ground.

Connect the Two Radio-End Wires to the External Antenna
Red & Black Teminals of the Tecsun BCL-2000 Radio.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF