Old December 25th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
msg msg is offline

Default Peter Dahl going out of business...

snip

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Straydog wrote:

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter
Dahl, and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got
Parkinsons and the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

snip

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate
modulation transformers?

Whatever happened to surplus savvy? In our area, not major metropolitan
by any means, there are DoD sales, surplus outlets, many hamfests, etc.
with no shortage of heavy iron.

Getting weirdo stuff rebuilt isn't all that difficult, if it's large
enough. There are a couple good transformer rebuild shops in my
state which mostly do pole pigs but can be encouraged to work on big
chokes,
power and modulation transformers if the money is right. But getting
brand new stuff.... there's nobody like Dahl. And getting
rebuilds for small transformers.... again, the guys are unique.

I also recommend rewinding houses; even here there was (haven't checked
recently) a good transformer rewinding house that did small stuff
for very little money. Feel free to do it yourself as well; everyone
should try at least once.

Regards

Michael