Old December 25th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Peter Dahl going out of business...

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter Dahl,
and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got Parkinsons and
the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate modulation
transformers?

Old December 25th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Straydog wrote:
I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter Dahl,
and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got Parkinsons and
the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

Jesus! The whole broadcast industry relies on him, not just the amateur
community.

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate modulation
transformers?

Getting weirdo stuff rebuilt isn't all that difficult, if it's large
enough. There are a couple good transformer rebuild shops in my state
which mostly do pole pigs but can be encouraged to work on big chokes,
power and modulation transformers if the money is right.

But getting brand new stuff.... there's nobody like Dahl. And getting
rebuilds for small transformers.... again, the guys are unique.
--scott

Old December 25th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Just a bit mo if anyone wants to check it out, the story is he

www.arrl.org/?artid=7889

Or, if you put "peter dahl" into the google search box, the link comes up
pretty high on the first page of search results.

I've sent an email to Hammond (they make a lot of transformers of the old
style [eg for tube radio projects, including pretty hefty plate
transformers eg. 500 watts plus, and sold through Radio-Daze, and some at
Fair Radio Sales]) about whether they might do "one-of" orders but I'm
sure they won't want to do lots of one without big buck costs and I'm not
the DOD, DOE.

I'm probably going to make a telephone call to Dahl tommorrow and see if
they answer the phone and what they say. No news on their websites, so
someone is asleep at the switch.

I did a google on "electric transformers" and got a lot of hits and its
going to take a while to search them. The vast majority of todays
transformer markets are all solid state low voltage stuff. tsk, tsk. Even
Newark and Mouser (for two [who else out there? Allied? Pioneer? couple
others? DigiKey?]) don't carry any transformers, much, for tube gear
voltages, let alone modulation transformers. And, here I was, thinking
about a homebrew pair of 811-As in parallel, class-C, modulated by a pair
of 811-As in push pull class B. Well...that idea just went poof.

So, somebody moved my cheese.

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====

Old December 25th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
msg msg is offline

snip

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Straydog wrote:

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter
Dahl, and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got
Parkinsons and the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

snip

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate
modulation transformers?

Whatever happened to surplus savvy? In our area, not major metropolitan
by any means, there are DoD sales, surplus outlets, many hamfests, etc.
with no shortage of heavy iron.

Getting weirdo stuff rebuilt isn't all that difficult, if it's large
enough. There are a couple good transformer rebuild shops in my
state which mostly do pole pigs but can be encouraged to work on big
chokes,
power and modulation transformers if the money is right. But getting
brand new stuff.... there's nobody like Dahl. And getting
rebuilds for small transformers.... again, the guys are unique.

I also recommend rewinding houses; even here there was (haven't checked
recently) a good transformer rewinding house that did small stuff
for very little money. Feel free to do it yourself as well; everyone
should try at least once.

Regards

Michael

Old December 25th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:28:23 -0500, Straydog wrote:

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter
Dahl, and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got
Parkinsons and the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate modulation
transformers?

Hopefully someone will be able to buy them out, and continue the
service. If it's fun and/or makes money it'll happen, unless Mr. Dahl is
too eccentric to let go of his business.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Old December 26th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Straydog wrote:

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter Dahl,
and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got Parkinsons and
the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate modulation
transformers?

Wow! This is indeed sad news for hams & others but, mostly for Mr. Dahl and
his family.

Bryan WA7PRC

Old December 26th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Tim Wescott wrote:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:28:23 -0500, Straydog wrote:

I was going to look up modulation transformers and googled on Peter
Dahl, and there was a link to a ARRL URL where they said he's got
Parkinsons and the company is going to close doors Dec 31, 2007.

So, now what are we going to do for weirdo stuff like plate modulation
transformers?

Hopefully someone will be able to buy them out, and continue the
service. If it's fun and/or makes money it'll happen, unless Mr. Dahl is
too eccentric to let go of his business.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Well, I called their non-800 number this morning (my nickle) and got a
generic recorded message on an answering machine (but it invited me to
call PD at home or his cell phone and gave the numbers, but I am not ready
to make a casual call under the circumstances).

I'm thinking about going back to the website and get some email addresses
and try them next.

Peter One news... Zlatko Feric Dx 0 February 7th 05 09:11 AM
Peter I postponed KØHB Dx 0 November 7th 03 10:57 PM
Peter I postponed KØHB Dx 0 November 7th 03 10:57 PM
Hot new announcement: 3Y0 - Peter Ist Peter Lemken Dx 10 September 13th 03 06:17 PM
Hot new announcement: 3Y0 - Peter Ist Peter Lemken Dx 0 September 13th 03 09:06 AM