Old January 14th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default folding a dipole in half

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:49:14 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

20m would be a good band for me to use, and it will just about fit, so
I was thinking of a 1/4 wavelength radiator with a 1/4 wavelength
counterpoise made out of wire.

Hi Geoff,

I presume by this you mean you have enough, total length, to create a
halfwave dipole for 20M in the conventional sense.

Since I have lots of 300 Ohm twinlead just sitting around, I could
make the radiator out of it. I understand that if I were to short both
ends and center feed it, it would be a standard 300 ohm folded dipole.

To some degree, but that will bring nothing to your advantage.

I think if I were to short the ends and end feed it, it would be a
eaquivalent to a wide(er) 1/4 wavelength end fed antenna and still
need a counterpoise.

Yes, and it brings into doubt my presumption above. It would inform
us all if you gave us the dimensions of your available space.

What would happen if I were to end feed it as if it were two seperate
wires, either with a balun or without? Would it work? What is this called?

An aircooled resistor.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC