Old February 18th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kenneth Isham[_2_] Kenneth Isham[_2_] is offline

Default Point-of-Fact : Consumers Are Buying "HD" Radios ! - How Is ThisBad News For "HD" Radio ?

RHF wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:09 pm, Steve wrote:

- S N I P -

- RHF, you are rooting for HD?

-r- NO [.]

- I almost can't believe my eyes.

-r- Open Your Eyes to the Reality that "HD" Radio Ain't
Going Away Soon -and- Very Well May Be Here Forever.

- It's like hearing Greenpeace root for increased use of fossil
fuels.

GreenPeace might Work Harder to Save a Living Fossil :
Then to Protect a Dead One. {In Life There Are Choices.}

Steve - Understand that the Radio Industry is "COMMITTED"
Big Time to the IBOC Scheme by iBiquity that is commonly
called "HD" Radio; and has put it's Money and Resources
behind it with a Transition Plan that goes on for Years.

1 - When FM Radio came about the AM/MW Radio Stations
Opposed It : Not So with "HD" Radio - Corporate AM/MW
Radio is On-Board the "HD" Radio Band-Wagon.

2 - When FM-Stereo Radio came along AM/MW Radio
Stations tried a few different AM-Stereo 'schemes' but
with NO Industry Standard AM-Stereo Failed due to
FCC and Industry Mismanagement : Not So with "HD"
Radio, both the AM/MW Industry and the FCC are
behind IBOC as a Standard for both AM/MW and FM
"HD" Radio Broadcasting. {They Both Learned from the
AM-Stereo Fiasco.}

3 - They is Solid Radio Broadcast Corporate 'Commitment'
to the IBOC Scheme for both AM/MW and FM "HD" Radio.
Perhaps 100 Times the Amount 'committed' to early FM
Radio Broadcasting. Perhaps 10 Times the Amount that
was 'committed' to early FM-Stereo and AM-Stereo Radio
Broadcasting. {Inflation Adjusted Dollars} IBOC "HD"
Radio has the Financial Backing to be Successful and
the Long Term Commitment to simply let it succeed
over many years.

4 - As I have said before IBOC "HD" Radio will Succeed
or Fail with it's Public Acceptance of FM "HD" Radio
and AM/MW "HD" Radio will simply be dragged along
with FM "HD" Radio.

5 - FM "HD" Radio is not about better Audio Sound :
Is is about a Second 'Sellable" Audio Stream [HD-2]
for the Radio Station to Market to Consumers and
Sell to Advertisers. {Radio It's About Business.}

6 - What FM "HD" Radio needs is a Killer Application to
make the HD-2 Radio Audio Stream "That Something"
that Radio Listeners {Audio Consumers} both WANT
and NEED !

reality may indeed 'suck' {reality sucks}
-but- just because something 'sucks'
don't mean that it will fail ~ RHF

EXAMPLE : MicroSoft Sucks. -v- Apple is Super.
But MicroSoft is # 1 in a Two Horse Race where
Apple is a Distant # 3 in Market Share and Sales
Volume.
.
CAUTION : This Post Has Not Been "Approved"
-by- Telamon. - http://tinyurl.com/yshplv
-ps- So Read It Only -If- You Are "Clueless".
-back-at-cha- Teli-Cry-Baby that is # 239 for the Month.
.

RHF:

Unless the radio stations can improve content and sound quality. More
and more people will switch to Sirius or XM or just use the CD or I
POD/MP3 connections included with most new car sound systems.
I am going to be one of them.
I wasted over $175 on the Sangean receiver to discover not only the
sound causes me to shut it off after a half hour, but the secondary
content is throw away on most of the stations except public radio
offerings.
I have several co-workers who have and love their sat. receivers and
the sound is much improved over so called HD-sound. I can enjoy
listening to Sirius's offerings.
I used to listen to a AM-stereo station that to my ears almost matched
the fidelity of the FM stations. Now that it switched to the HD
broadcast it sounds like listening to the MUSZAC offerings while being
put on hold on the telephone on my analog receiver. The Sangean cannot
decode the HD content at all and the analog portion is also much like my
previous description of auto receiver.
There is nothing currently on local radio especially HD to me spring for
a new HD receiver.
Ken I.