Old March 6th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] plimmer@telkomsa.net is offline

Default RP2100 Antenna Hookup

On Mar 6, 7:56*am, garthpdm wrote:
Thanks Telamon,

One thing I enjoy about this hobby is that there is so much to learn.
I checked and it is connected to the correct jack. *Is it possible
that since I have not yet grounded the antenna it is behaving this
way? *Thanks

Garth-

Well the NorthWest antenna seems to be a well built commercial unit.
The matching transformer/balun's don't usually give trouble when well
made and tested in the factory. You cannot test a matching transformer
with a multimeter as Telemon said.

What I meant for you to do was disconnect the RG58 coax from the balun
and then test the coax carefully for continuity on the outside shield
and the inner core seperately. If that is okay then I don't know what?
Maybe then the radio is faulty at the internal/external antenna
switch, as you say it works fine on the whip.

As for grounding the radio or balun - i wouldn't worry about that. I
use them all the time in the field without a ground, although a ground
is desirable (but not essential).

Good luck

John Plimmer, Montagu, South Africa.