Old March 6th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RP2100 Antenna Hookup

On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a Redsun RP2100 and have been trying different antenna setups
to try to get reception here in S Korea. I have had a little success
but it hasn't been great. I am able to get reception on SW1 but SW2
and SW3 have virtually nothing when I listen at night. I have a
question about my RP2100. Recently I attached a longwire antenna to
the radio through the external jack on the back. There was no
noticeable improvement in reception for SW2 and SW3. But, when I
changed the switch on the side from external to internal and touched
the whip with my finger suddenly the longwire worked from 10000 -
30000. If I unplug the longwire from the external jack and continue
touching the whip the reception in gone. If I connect the longwire
directly to the whip, again the reception is great. This is all while
the switch is set to internal antenna. Is the external jack is
broken? Strangely, I have tried using a small Degen DE31 with the
external jack and the switch set to external and it seems to work(but
not on SW2 & SW3). My knowledge of antennas is low and perhaps I am
doing something wrong. I am using 20m of 50 ohm RG-58 coax lead.
Unfortunately I can't get the antenna any closer to my house and
shorten the coax. I am going to try grounding the antenna next.

On a side note, does anyone know where you can receive service for a
Redsun product? I have tried writing to many different email
addresses and have had no response.

Thanks for any help
Regards

Garth

Hi again,

I used a multimeter to check the line and it certainly is shorted.
But the short is on the transformer/balun of the longwire. Is the
outside of the SO239 jack supposed to be connected with the center
hole of the SO239? ie. when I touch one lead to the center hole and
one to the circumference of the jack, current flows. This is how the
antenna is shorting I guess. Is the transformer/balun supposed to
work this way? The antenna is the World-Listener SWL End-Feed
purchased from Northwest Antennas at this site http://my.tbaytel.net/mccourts/homepage.html

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Garth
Old March 6th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
garthpdm wrote:

On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm not quite sure what you have there but chances are the S0239
connector is across a transformer winding and will look like a short
with a multi-meter at DC but it should not be a short at RF frequencies.
Check the coax for shorts or opens. If the coax looks OK then the
antenna UNUN might have a problem. Make sure you are connecting the
antenna to the proper jack on the radio. I looks like two jacks on the
back of the radio are are similar looking.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 6th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 2:19*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*garthpdm wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Telamon,

One thing I enjoy about this hobby is that there is so much to learn.
I checked and it is connected to the correct jack. Is it possible
that since I have not yet grounded the antenna it is behaving this
way? Thanks

Garth
Old March 6th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 7:56*am, garthpdm wrote:
Thanks Telamon,

One thing I enjoy about this hobby is that there is so much to learn.
I checked and it is connected to the correct jack. *Is it possible
that since I have not yet grounded the antenna it is behaving this
way? *Thanks

Garth-

Well the NorthWest antenna seems to be a well built commercial unit.
The matching transformer/balun's don't usually give trouble when well
made and tested in the factory. You cannot test a matching transformer
with a multimeter as Telemon said.

What I meant for you to do was disconnect the RG58 coax from the balun
and then test the coax carefully for continuity on the outside shield
and the inner core seperately. If that is okay then I don't know what?
Maybe then the radio is faulty at the internal/external antenna
switch, as you say it works fine on the whip.

As for grounding the radio or balun - i wouldn't worry about that. I
use them all the time in the field without a ground, although a ground
is desirable (but not essential).

Good luck

John Plimmer, Montagu, South Africa.

Old March 6th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 5, 9:56*pm, garthpdm wrote:
On Mar 6, 2:19*pm, Telamon
wrote:

In article
,

*garthpdm wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes - Thank You Telamon ) ~ RHF

- One thing I enjoy about this hobby is that there
- is so much to learn.

Life Long Learning is Good.

- I checked and it is connected to the correct jack.

Good.

-*Is it possible that since I have not yet grounded the antenna
- it is behaving this way? *

Yes.

- Thanks
- Garth
-

Old March 6th 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 5, 8:58*pm, garthpdm wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:

[...]

Garth- Hide quoted text -

Garth - Please Read :

Simple Continuity Testing : Coax Cable and MLB Macting Transformer
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...046cc4428971bf

~ RHF
Old March 7th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
garthpdm wrote:

On Mar 6, 2:19*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*garthpdm wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Generally these UNUNs work better with a ground on the right terminal
but from the web site I can't tell if this unit even has a ground
terminal.

Another thing to look at is the Local/DX and INT/EXT switches. The
switches set in the wrong combinations could be causing you problems.

Here you would start with DX and EXT.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RP2100 Antenna Hookup garthpdm Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 10:27 AM
RP2100 Antenna Hookup RHF Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 08:04 AM
RP2100 Antenna Hookup [email protected] Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 07:39 AM
RP2100 Antenna Hookup Telamon Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 05:53 AM
CCRadio-SW = Redsun RP2100 with Twin Coil Ferrite Rod AM/MW Antenna Technology ? RHF Shortwave 11 April 30th 07 09:35 AM