Old March 29th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Degen 1103

In article
,
Mike wrote:

On Mar 29, 1:23?am, garthpdm wrote:
Hi,
I bought a Degen 1103 on ebay and it came in the mail yesterday. ?I
was amazed at the difference in performance between it and my Redsun
RP 2100. ?I can hear so much more on the Degen. ?I realize neither one
is amoung the elite of shortwave radios but wow, what a difference.
Between 20000 - 29999 I can hear lots of different stations and that
is just with the whip. ?Neither the whip nor the longwire can hear the
same stations or very much else on the Redsun. ?Why is that? ?From the
reviews I have read I thought the RP 2100 was relatively sensitive.
Anyone have a similar experience?

You need to keep in mind that there is a great deal of variability
amongst these Chinese portables. I was just comparing my DE1103 to my
Eton E5 and RP2100, each using the built-in whip. At a little after
0700 UTC, R New Zealand Int'l was barely audible on the DE1103 and E5.
It was coming much better on the RP2100. On the DE1103 and E5 nothing
at all was audible. On the RP2100, I was getting enough audio to be
able to ID R. Australia in English. Don't get me wrong - I've long
been a vocal fan of the sensitivity of the 1103 and the E5. However,
I'm now concluding that my Redsun is more sensitive.

You need to take more care making such a determination as the radio
input response will not be flat. Also complicating the observation you
are making is (I assume you are using the whip on the radios) the
receive antenna impedance is all over the place over frequency. You
would have of to make a number of comparisons over frequency in order to
figure out which radio is more sensitive.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California