Old March 29th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Degen 1103

Hi,
I bought a Degen 1103 on ebay and it came in the mail yesterday. I
was amazed at the difference in performance between it and my Redsun
RP 2100. I can hear so much more on the Degen. I realize neither one
is amoung the elite of shortwave radios but wow, what a difference.
Between 20000 - 29999 I can hear lots of different stations and that
is just with the whip. Neither the whip nor the longwire can hear the
same stations or very much else on the Redsun. Why is that? From the
reviews I have read I thought the RP 2100 was relatively sensitive.
Anyone have a similar experience?

Garth
Old March 29th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You need to keep in mind that there is a great deal of variability
amongst these Chinese portables. I was just comparing my DE1103 to my
Eton E5 and RP2100, each using the built-in whip. At a little after
0700 UTC, R New Zealand Int'l was barely audible on the DE1103 and E5.
It was coming much better on the RP2100. On the DE1103 and E5 nothing
at all was audible. On the RP2100, I was getting enough audio to be
able to ID R. Australia in English. Don't get me wrong - I've long
been a vocal fan of the sensitivity of the 1103 and the E5. However,
I'm now concluding that my Redsun is more sensitive.

Mike
Louisville, KY

Old March 29th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 29, 4:54Â*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

Garth- Hide quoted text -

SW1 and 2 have been quite good on the RP2100. I find that SW3 however
is very limited with almost nothing on my RP2100. How is it on your
end? I realize some people listen too much to that area.
Old March 29th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Due to the poor propagation caused by the sunspot minimum, I'm not
hearing much above 17 MHz on any of my radios. I kind of long for a
return of the sunspot maximum, when you can often hear signals on the
13 MHz-and-up bands all night long. I'm not hearing many international
broadcasts above 17 MHz right now, even in daylight hours. I will have
to scan 20-30 MHz range with my DE1103 and E5 to see how other signals
might be coming through.

Mike

On Mar 29, 4:16�am, garthpdm wrote:

SW1 and 2 have been quite good on the RP2100. �I find that SW3 however
is very limited with almost nothing on my RP2100. �How is it on your
end? �I realize some people listen too much to that area.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 29th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Mike wrote:

[...]

You need to take more care making such a determination as the radio
input response will not be flat. Also complicating the observation you
are making is (I assume you are using the whip on the radios) the
receive antenna impedance is all over the place over frequency. You
would have of to make a number of comparisons over frequency in order to
figure out which radio is more sensitive.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 31st 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 30, 4:49*am, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Mike wrote:

[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Right Telamon, I understand what you are saying. Perhaps it is where
I live? Perhaps not, but all of the options I have tried with the
RP2100 have returned nothing in the upper range. THe different
combinations I have tried have returned nada on that radio. I think
that the statement can be made that of both radios shipped to me, the
Degen has worked better out of the box. The argument beyond that I'll
leave up to you. Cheers

Garth
Old March 31st 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 29, 1:23*am, garthpdm wrote:
Hi,
I bought a Degen 1103 on ebay and it came in the mail yesterday. *I
was amazed at the difference in performance between it and my Redsun
RP 2100. *I can hear so much more on the Degen. *I realize neither one
is amoung the elite of shortwave radios but wow, what a difference.
Between 20000 - 29999 I can hear lots of different stations and that
is just with the whip. *Neither the whip nor the longwire can hear the
same stations or very much else on the Redsun. *Why is that? *From the
reviews I have read I thought the RP 2100 was relatively sensitive.
Anyone have a similar experience?

Garth

I agree that the DE1103 is quite a receiver for the money. I haven't
used the 2100, but I understand it performs very well on MW and
broadcast shortwave.

It could be that you got a dud 2100.
Old April 1st 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Tom is offline

On Mar 29, 1:23*am, garthpdm wrote:
Hi,
I bought a Degen 1103 on ebay and it came in the mail yesterday. *I
was amazed at the difference in performance between it and my Redsun
RP 2100. *I can hear so much more on the Degen. *I realize neither one
is amoung the elite of shortwave radios but wow, what a difference.
Between 20000 - 29999 I can hear lots of different stations and that
is just with the whip. *Neither the whip nor the longwire can hear the
same stations or very much else on the Redsun. *Why is that? *From the
reviews I have read I thought the RP 2100 was relatively sensitive.
Anyone have a similar experience?

Garth

In my experience with the DE1103, there is a lot of stuff above 20MHz
all the time - it's crud generated internally due to intermodulation
distortion among strong signals at lower and higher frequencies. So
you will hear MW stations and signals from lower frequency SWBC bands
up there plus hash from local VHF-FM and TV stations. It's very
difficult to fish out genuine signals from all this crud and I find
the DE1103 to be quite useless in that range. Connecting the antenna
through a preselector or bandpass filter is necessary to depress the
mess. Maybe the RP2100 is actually giving you a better picture of what
is actually being propagated above 20MHz.

Tom
Old April 1st 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Tom wrote:

In my experience with the DE1103, there is a lot of stuff above 20MHz
all the time - it's crud generated internally due to intermodulation
distortion among strong signals at lower and higher frequencies.

Crud?...I used to get a lot of that between 26.965-27.405 MHz. In fact,
that is all I got. Seems to have quietened down a lot in the last
decade. It must have something to do with the eleven year 'Dumb Spot" cycle.

mike

Degen DE-1103 Vic Swap 2 March 23rd 05 04:18 PM
degen 1103 and drm? bob Shortwave 2 January 28th 05 09:36 PM
No Degen 1103 yet pickle Shortwave 18 January 2nd 05 11:26 PM
DEGEN 1103 pickle Shortwave 11 December 24th 04 12:03 PM
FT: Degen 1103 DeWayne Swap 7 December 6th 04 07:21 PM