Old April 3rd 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cato Cato is offline

Default The Added Task of Tuning the Active Antenna -versus- SimplyTuning the Radio and Being Focused on Listening-to-the-Radio

Well... no getting past the fact the Sony is a great antenna. I
admit that... and setting it and forgetting is is great.

However... for me... let's say I want to listen to Radio
Taiwan.... I turn the antenna for that direction... like you do the
Sony.... then enter 5950 on my radio... turn on my antenna... and
spend about three seconds bringing it in with the little
wheel.....doesn't seem like a lot of work to me.....

The I settle back and listen for the next hour to Jade Bells and
Bamboo Pipes etc.

With the backpacking and canoeing I do in the wilderness.....
taking a little Eton E100 and a TG24/DE31MS makes a lot of sense too.
Lighter weight, and they take up less room then a larger radio and
antenna. Every inch of room and every ounce of weight really count.

Yes... I do agree that the Sony is a more sensitive antenna.....
And I may add one to my collection very soon. But I do like my TG34.
For its price and size.... it is a good antenna.