Old April 2nd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Kaito KA33 Active Antenna - Any Feedback?

On Mar 24, 8:38*pm, wrote:
Every now & again I feel an urge to throw some money into cheap
shortwave stuff. *I've played with the old RatShack amplified antenna
- not too impressed, and a few months ago bought a Grundig Mini-World
(digital) and though it doesn't compare to my Sony 7600G or Icom R75
it's kinda nice to carry around on my evening walk or to take fishing.
So, I was thinking that for when I travel and just for farting around
the Kaito active loop might be kinda fun. *Has anyone here used one of
these and if so, how does it compare to just clipping about 20 feet of
wire to a whip antenna? *Not interested in being pointed to links of
reviews, I can use Google myself; more interested in feedback from
this group.

Thanks in advance,
Greenhornet

note: Greenhornet is a chip dip a friend makes; sour cream, capers,
wasabe and a few other spices.......puts hair on your chest and
removes wallpaper also

GH,

I do not recommend the Kaito KA33 Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3670.html
The Tuning Wheel is too small = Hard to use.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/3670sys.html
The Tuning is too Iffy = Difficult to tune.

READ - The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
-vice- the Degen / Kaito AM and Shortwave Loop Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...fbd42e96abbbb8

1 - Consider the Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna which
could be called a Narrow-Banded {Un-Tuned} Loop Antenna.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140214066985
* The Control Box is equipped with a Frequency Band
{Narrow Range} Selection Knob : ~4 MHz, ~5 MHz,
~6 MHz, ~7 MHz, ~10 MHz, ~12 MHz, ~14 MHz,
~16 MHz, and ~20 MHz
* This Knob {Switch} allows the Selection of any of these
Bands which cover the major Shortwave Radio Broadcast
Bands.
* It generally Amplifies "All" the Frequencies within these
Narrow Bands and Attenuates the Frequencies that are
out of the specific Band.
Note - There is NO Fine-Tuning within the Bands.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/3676pre.jpg
+ Key-To-Do - Place the Antenna Element in/on/near
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...47f78cd1792a58
an Outside facing Window for a better RF Signal and
less RFI/EMF Noise pick-up.

Finding-It - It can be found 'new' on eBay offered
by the eBay Japanese seller : "buyfromjapan"
http://myworld.ebay.com/buyfromjapan/
* Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ360039106613

KAITO KA35 {eBay TG35} Wide-Band Active Antenna :
1 - Charge It ! {Re-Chargeable}
2 - Connect It ! {Easy Hook-Up}
3 - Use It {Simply Turn-It-On / No Tuning Required}
WHAT COULD BE EASIER !

Kaito KA35 Amplified Active LW + MW + Shortwave Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ260224892616
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-kaito-ka35.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7293
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/ka35whip.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/ka35dia.jpg

Also sold as the TG35 Solar USB Recharge Indoor
SW MW LW Active Antenna -on- eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140156238905

QUESTION : WHAT IS THE "GREEN" ANTENNA ?
The KA35/ TG35 is a Indoor AM {Medium Wave};
Shortwave and Longwave Active Antenna.
The KA35/TG35 Broadband {No-Tuning} Active Antenna
has the Frequency Coverage from : 30 kHz to 30 MKHz
using two Plug-In Antenna Elements :

* Ferrite "Rod" Element for the AM {Medium Wave} Band
Frequency Coverage : 520 kHz to 1710 kHz plus Longwave
along with the Ferrite Rod 'Coupler' for Radio's requiring it.
TIP - Rotate and Position the Ferrite Rod for the best
AM/MW Reception of the individual AM/WM Radio Station
because this is a Directional Antenna.

* Short "Whip" Antenna Element for the Shortwave Band
Frequency Coverage : 3.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz
TIP - This is an Omni-Directional Antenna : So fully extend
the Whip and Place the Antenna Element in/on/near
an Outside facing Window for a better RF Signal and
less RFI/EMF Noise pick-up.

QUESTION : WHAT MAKES IT "GREEN" ?
The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna has a 500mAh Ni-MH
'rechargeable' Battery built into the Antenna, this can
be 'recharged' by the Solar Cell that is also built into
the Antenna.
- - - This makes the KA35/TG35 Active Antenna a "Green" Product.
Plus - The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna can be recharge the Ni-MH
'rechargeable' Battery via the USB Port Connection of a PC.

ANTENNA SIGNAL OUTPUT ?
The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna uses a 1/8" (3.5mm)
Stereo Plug as it's Out-Put-Connection.

KA35/TG35 Users Instructions :
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ant/4835om.pdf

READ - The "Green" Antenna {TG35} for AM/MW Radio
Reception plus the Shortwave Radio Bands Too !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a1f6eb63507d83

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old April 2nd 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have absolutely no problem with the tuning wheel on my TG34,
(DE31MS) active loop. Heard that some people find it to sensitve and
touchy.,... I dont find it to be too touchy at all.

Each to their own I suppose.

The Sony is of course more sensitive,... also at least
three times more pricey, and not as compact for backpacking. The
DE31MS/ TG34 folds up into a much smaller package. A friend of mine
has the Sony antenna. It's not as compact. And he paid a hell of a lot
more money then I did.

I would prefer the Sony at home. And if I want to pay
$100.00 or more for it... I might get it.

But for the price, and level of performance for the TG34,
DE31MS... it's a bargain. I've been listening to shortwave sincde I
was about ten years old. Fifty six now..... I've used lots of
different antenna setups for various situations.

Happen to like the TG34/DE31MS..... I bought a second one after
purchasing my first one and trying it out.. And still spent a lot less
then I would for one Sony antenna.
Old April 3rd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The Added Task of Tuning the Active Antenna -versus- Simply Tuningthe Radio and Being Focused on Listening-to-the-Radio

On Apr 2, 3:07*pm, Cato wrote:
Subject-Line was : Kaito KA33 Active Antenna
- Any Feedback? Options
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d197e8448d183c

-*I have absolutely no problem with the tuning wheel on my
- TG34, (DE31MS) active loop. *Heard that some people find
- it to sensitve and touchy... I dont find it to be too touchy at all.
-
-*Each to their own I suppose.
-
- *The Sony is of course more sensitive,... also at least three
- times more pricey, and not as compact for backpacking.
- The DE31MS/ TG34 folds up into a much smaller package.
- A friend of mine has the Sony antenna. It's not as compact.
- And he paid a hell of a lot more money then I did.
-
- I would prefer the Sony at home. And if I want to pay $100.00
- or more for it... I might get it.
-
-*But for the price, and level of performance for the TG34,
- DE31MS... *it's a bargain. I've been listening to shortwave
- since I was about ten years old. Fifty six now... I've used
- lots of different antenna setups for various situations.
-
-*Happen to like the TG34/DE31MS..... I bought a second
- one after purchasing my first one and trying it out... And
- still spent a lot less then I would for one Sony antenna.
-
- - - - - - - - - - New Subject-Line Reads - - - - - - - - - -

The Added Task of Tuning the Active Antenna -versus-
Simply Tuning the Radio and Being Focused on Listening-to-the-Radio

Cato,

I guess what makes me 'choose' the Sony AN-LP1 Active
Shortwave Loop Antenna or even the KA35/TG35 Active
Antenna over the TG34/DE31 Active Loop Antennas is
really the Issue of "Tuning" the Active Antenna itself.

With the AN-LP1 'select' the Shortwave Radio Band on the
Active Antenna and you can tune anywhere throughtout
that Band on your Shortwave Radio / HF Receiver. Your
'focus' is On-the-Radio {Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your
Attention is to Listening-to-the Radio.

With the KA35/TG35 Shortwave {Broadband 3.0 MHz to
30.0 MHz} Active Antenna you simply Turn the Antenna
"On"; and you can Tune anywhere throughtout entire range
of Shortwave Radio Bands on your Shortwave Radio /
HF Receiver. Again your 'focus' is On-the-Radio
{Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your Attention is to
Listening-to-the Radio.

SOAP-BOX-TIME {RANT} :
This is also 'why' I like using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with
a Random Wire {Long-Wire} Antenna. {Broadband 500 kHz
to 30.0 MHz} 'Passive' Antenna
NO TUNING REQUIRED ! {What Could Be Easier ! }
* Just Say No To Antenna Tuners - Stay-Out The Dials.
* Just Say No To Pre-Selectors - Stay-Out The Knobs.
These so-called Magnetic Long-Wire Baluns (MLB) allows you
to Tune anywhere throughtout entire range of Shortwave Radio
Bands on your Shortwave Radio / HF Receiver. Again your
'focus' is On-the-Radio {Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your
Attention is to Listening-to-the Radio.
{End-of-Rant}

i simply like listening to the shortwave radio - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old April 3rd 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well... no getting past the fact the Sony is a great antenna. I
admit that... and setting it and forgetting is is great.

However... for me... let's say I want to listen to Radio
Taiwan.... I turn the antenna for that direction... like you do the
Sony.... then enter 5950 on my radio... turn on my antenna... and
spend about three seconds bringing it in with the little
wheel.....doesn't seem like a lot of work to me.....

The I settle back and listen for the next hour to Jade Bells and
Bamboo Pipes etc.

With the backpacking and canoeing I do in the wilderness.....
taking a little Eton E100 and a TG24/DE31MS makes a lot of sense too.
Lighter weight, and they take up less room then a larger radio and
antenna. Every inch of room and every ounce of weight really count.

Yes... I do agree that the Sony is a more sensitive antenna.....
And I may add one to my collection very soon. But I do like my TG34.
For its price and size.... it is a good antenna.