Old April 5th 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.commercial-hit-radio,alt.radio,alt.radio.broadcasting.open
Scooter Scooter is offline

Default Moive Industry Thrives/ Jim Cramer Why Radio is dead.

The movie industry thrives because movie goers still must walk into a
theater to view the latest block buster movie! Yes you can sit back and wait
a few months to watch the release on DVD or HBO or such services. But people
still view going out to the movies as entertainment and will pay the price
for admission to see the latest release from Hollywood. Also producers know
to keep people interested their products must wow customers! And their
content must be better than good!

When a new song is released I can hear the artist anyplace. I can buy the CD
from any store or download it from the Internet. Music and the content of
radio is now available everywhere. The Internet, satellite radio, cell
phones Am/FM HD 1 & 2 and wireless Internet access. with more gadgets to
follow I'm sure. And with the exception of a few rare shows or personalities
most radio stations sound the same. And forgive but where's the wow factor
for HD radio? This is their big release! their big hit! HD is radio's future
and what we have is more of the same but it sounds a little better. You
can't even walk into Best Buy and hear a dozen or so great sounding
stations. You're lucky if you can receive one. I'm not wowed... I'm curious
but not wowed to part with $200.00 or more! Maybe $29.99 but not $200.00
They just don't get it. I've listened to a few Clear Channel HD stations
online.. The comedy channel is different. The music stations sound like
everything else. They're not investing in personalites or marekting their
stations.. Do people still want to listen to fun creative radio
personalites? maybe not.

Radio revenues have been flat for years. 1% growth is no growth. And
recently revenues have gone backward. It means advertisers have lost
confidence and are spending their resources elsewhere. Googles point and
click is affordable and advertisers can track their response. Other
advertising forms are still healthy and growing Internet revenues are now
outpacing radio! Radio is a mature industry and has hit the ceiling. Radio
needs to innovate and recreate it self. Doing the same old thing won't work
anymore. They'd be better off giving their HD stations to interns and
college kids they'd come up with fresh new ideas! Steve Jobs builds better
mouse traps and it takes maverick like thinking to cut through the bull and
get the job done.