Old April 6th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA Pete KE9OA is offline

Default Hello HD RADIO, WE'RE NOT WOWED!

I got to hear that Sony table radio that sells for around 200 dollars. RF
performance was very poor......the only thing I did hear on two local
stations on the AM band was enhanced sibilances on vocals. Not what I would
call hi-fi. The sound quality in IBOC mode was more like a very poor
iteration of the sound that came from first generation CD players. The IBOC
folks have quite a long road ahead if they want to get anybody's attention.
They really need to improve the RF performance of their products.

Pete

"friendlyneighborhooddisease" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
I won't pay to go to a movie theater. I won't pay for satellite tv.
I won't pay for cable television. I won't pay for satellite radio.
But I will pay for FREE over-the-air HD Radio.

Since I don't care about a big-screen tv, my reason for going hdtv is
for content. But WHERE is all the new content on the sub-channels?
After all this time, finally two local stations have added a sub-
channel with new content. Because of this, I purchased an analog-to-
digital converter box to get the content on my regular tv. EVENTUALLY
HD radio will have the content.

Most radio listeners don't give a hoot about dxing; HD radio will
therefore be a nice upgrade for them. I still run across people who
don't know what a navigation system is, who have never heard of
satellite radio, who still had no idea analog tv was shutting off next
year, etc. It takes time for the general public to become aware of
new technology. HD Radio WILL succeed.

Not until the receivers are $40. If they run commercials they should
give the radios away.