Old April 4th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hello HD RADIO, WE'RE NOT WOWED!

I won't pay to go to a movie theater. I won't pay for satellite tv.
I won't pay for cable television. I won't pay for satellite radio.
But I will pay for FREE over-the-air HD Radio.

Since I don't care about a big-screen tv, my reason for going hdtv is
for content. But WHERE is all the new content on the sub-channels?
After all this time, finally two local stations have added a sub-
channel with new content. Because of this, I purchased an analog-to-
digital converter box to get the content on my regular tv. EVENTUALLY
HD radio will have the content.

Most radio listeners don't give a hoot about dxing; HD radio will
therefore be a nice upgrade for them. I still run across people who
don't know what a navigation system is, who have never heard of
satellite radio, who still had no idea analog tv was shutting off next
year, etc. It takes time for the general public to become aware of
new technology. HD Radio WILL succeed.
Old April 4th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 4, 11:49�am, wrote:
[...]

HD Radio never got off the ground, and is failing:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com
Old April 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
[...]

Even most early adapters are not buying IBOC. It's a crummy technology that
offers the average person no advantage whatsoever. The receivers are not
even able to reproduce a digital signal in many areas where the analog
signal is very strong. People are not going to tolerate a signal that simply
disappears when they turn a corner or point their radio the 'wrong' way.
Largely, radio is rapidly becoming a modern day dinosaur, mostly BECAUSE of
the content. People have grown weary of having someone else tell them what
they want to hear, and playing the same 40 garbage tunes over and over, ad
nauseum. The young have been flocking, en masse, to mp3 players (mostly
[gag] overpriced, underpowered ipods). They just don't have any interest in
paying big money for a radio.

Old April 5th 08, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 4, 6:51*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

You have got to be joking. Nice Troll.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Telamon,

So anyone who does not agree with you is a Troll.

Actually "GA" is a proponent of All "Free" Over-the-Air
Broadcasting on both Radio and TV : Be It Analog or
Digital.

-ps- People will 'buy' what they can get for "Free".

Strange that you never call the Hundreds of Post by
IBOCcrock Trolling Posts because they are Anti-IBOC.

But "GA" post here once or twice a Month with some
thing Positive about "Free" Over-the-Air Broadcasting
on both Radio and TV : Which presently happens to
be going Digital -and- You call him a Troll.

Teli - I you really Read IBOCcrock's Hundreds of Posts and
Replies here you would see that his is Anti-AM/FM-Radio
{Old Media} and Pro-New-Media {Internet Radio etc}.

trill-on teli ! ~ RHF

Old April 5th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : Why Are There So Few HDTV Sub-Channels On-the-Air ?

On Apr 4, 9:49*am, wrote:
[...]

GA - Currently there is NO MANDATE for Cable TV Systems
and Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters to carry the 'Local' TV
Channel's HDTV Sub-Channels.

If-and-When the US Congress Requires-by-Law and/or the
FCC Requires-by-Regulation that Cable TV Systems and
Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters to carry "ALL" 'Local' TV
Channel's -icluding- the HDTV Sub-Channels : Then you will
see a Growth in the number of TV Stations offering many
more HDTV Sub-Channels.

- = EXAMPLE = -

KQED - Primary HDTV Channel 9.1 is on Local Cable TV
and in the 'Basic' / Standard Cable TV Package

KQED - Life-Encore HDTV Sub-Channel 9.2 is NOT on the
Local Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the
Premium Cable TV Packages.

KQED - World HDTV Sub-Channel 9.3 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - V-Me HDTV Sub-Channel 9.4 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - Kids HDTV Sub-Channel 9.5 is NOT on the Local
Cable TV -or- Requires the Pruchase of one of the Premium
Cable TV Packages.

KQED - "At the time of this writing (9/02), KQED-DT's
digital and high definition TV programming is not carried
by cable companies, satellite companies, or translators."
http://www.kqed.org/help/tv/tunein.jsp

The US Congress Needs To Change The Laws and Required
that All HDTV Channels and Sub-Channels be Carried on both
Cable TV Systems and by Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters.

All {100%} of the "Free" Over-the-Air TV and now HDTV needs
to be 100% Available in all 'Basic' Standard Cable TV {HDTV}
Packages and the Direct Satellite TV Broadcasters 'Basic'
Standard DBS TV {HDTV} Packages too.

end-of-rant ~ RHF
Old April 6th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I got to hear that Sony table radio that sells for around 200 dollars. RF
performance was very poor......the only thing I did hear on two local
stations on the AM band was enhanced sibilances on vocals. Not what I would
call hi-fi. The sound quality in IBOC mode was more like a very poor
iteration of the sound that came from first generation CD players. The IBOC
folks have quite a long road ahead if they want to get anybody's attention.
They really need to improve the RF performance of their products.

Pete

"friendlyneighborhooddisease" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
[...]

Not until the receivers are $40. If they run commercials they should
give the radios away.

Old April 6th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Hello iBiquity Build Better HD-Radio Tuners Especially AM Tuners ThatDo Not S-U-C-K

On Apr 5, 10:05*pm, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
-
- I got to hear that Sony table radio that sells for around
- 200 dollars. RF performance was very poor......the only
- thing I did hear on two local stations on the AM band
- was enhanced sibilances on vocals. Not what I would
- call hi-fi. The sound quality in IBOC mode was more
- like a very poor iteration of the sound that came from
- first generation CD players. The IBOC folks have quite
- a long road ahead if they want to get anybody's attention.
- They really need to improve the RF performance of their
- products.
-
- Pete
-

- = R A N T = -

The vast majority of 'consumer' grade AM/FM Radios
for many years have had very poor AM Radio Tuners.
The FM-Stereo Radio Tuners are not so bad -but- most
of the the AM Radio Tuners are junk. All the AM Tuners
are good for is picking-up the stronger 'local' AM Radio
Stations. The FM Tuners seam to do a good job of
picking-up the majority of the 'local' FM Radio Stations
using a simple Twin-Lead FM Folded-Dipole Antenna.

FWIW - Most of these AM/FM Radios will have an
External Antenna Input for an FM Antenna -but- Few
will have any External Antenna Input for an AM Antenna.

The Tivoli Radio's Manual AM & FM Tuner is very good
-while- the Bose Wave Radio's AM Tuner is garbage,
but it's FM is adequate for the 'locals'.

Forturately most Car Radios have generally maintained
the 'quality' of both their AM and FM Radio Tuners.

Yes - I would Agree with you that 'if' IBOC is going to
be successful iBiquity has to get a better AM and FM
Radio Tuner into their HD-Radios.

DOH ! - People are willing to pay $200~$450 for new
replacement Car/Truck/SUV AM/FM Radios and then
shell-out a lot more Money for a full set of Speakers
for that Surround-A-Sound Audio in their Cars.

Hello iBiquity Build Better HD-Radio Tuners especially
AM Tuners That Do Not S-U-C-K. ~ RHF