Old April 6th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Hello iBiquity Build Better HD-Radio Tuners Especially AM Tuners ThatDo Not S-U-C-K

On Apr 5, 10:05*pm, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:
-
- I got to hear that Sony table radio that sells for around
- 200 dollars. RF performance was very poor......the only
- thing I did hear on two local stations on the AM band
- was enhanced sibilances on vocals. Not what I would
- call hi-fi. The sound quality in IBOC mode was more
- like a very poor iteration of the sound that came from
- first generation CD players. The IBOC folks have quite
- a long road ahead if they want to get anybody's attention.
- They really need to improve the RF performance of their
- products.
-
- Pete
-

- = R A N T = -

The vast majority of 'consumer' grade AM/FM Radios
for many years have had very poor AM Radio Tuners.
The FM-Stereo Radio Tuners are not so bad -but- most
of the the AM Radio Tuners are junk. All the AM Tuners
are good for is picking-up the stronger 'local' AM Radio
Stations. The FM Tuners seam to do a good job of
picking-up the majority of the 'local' FM Radio Stations
using a simple Twin-Lead FM Folded-Dipole Antenna.

FWIW - Most of these AM/FM Radios will have an
External Antenna Input for an FM Antenna -but- Few
will have any External Antenna Input for an AM Antenna.

The Tivoli Radio's Manual AM & FM Tuner is very good
-while- the Bose Wave Radio's AM Tuner is garbage,
but it's FM is adequate for the 'locals'.

Forturately most Car Radios have generally maintained
the 'quality' of both their AM and FM Radio Tuners.

Yes - I would Agree with you that 'if' IBOC is going to
be successful iBiquity has to get a better AM and FM
Radio Tuner into their HD-Radios.

DOH ! - People are willing to pay $200~$450 for new
replacement Car/Truck/SUV AM/FM Radios and then
shell-out a lot more Money for a full set of Speakers
for that Surround-A-Sound Audio in their Cars.

Hello iBiquity Build Better HD-Radio Tuners especially
AM Tuners That Do Not S-U-C-K. ~ RHF