Old April 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default 20m whip on 30m?

On Apr 17, 3:59 pm, wrote:
I'm in a tiny apartment for a while and plan to put a Hamstick-style whip
on a mount clamped to a windowframe, to see if I can work a little PSK31.

I wanted a HF whip for 30m but couldn't easily find one. I bought whips
for 20 and 40. They're the usual things--5' fiberglass rod, 3/8-24
fittings at each end, loading wound onto the fiberglass rod, with a
flexible whip at the end, adjustable in length, for tuning.

I'm wondering about making an extension for the base--a length of aluminum
or something, with 3/8-24 fittings at each end, and trying to get the
20meter whip's resonance down close to 30meters. Anybody tried this, have
any advice/suggestion/information? TIA!
--Ken AC4RD

It would take much less length if you extended the stinger vs
extending
the base below the windings. It will take a lot of mast to tune it to
30m
if you keep the same stinger length. I'm talking in feet, not inches.
But you can extend the stinger just a few inches and tune it to 30m.
You will need to find a longer stinger if that one won't extend out
enough, and it probably won't unless there is plenty left after
tuning it for 20m. For maximum efficiency, extend both ends.