Old April 17th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
No Name

Default 20m whip on 30m?

I'm in a tiny apartment for a while and plan to put a Hamstick-style whip
on a mount clamped to a windowframe, to see if I can work a little PSK31.

I wanted a HF whip for 30m but couldn't easily find one. I bought whips
for 20 and 40. They're the usual things--5' fiberglass rod, 3/8-24
fittings at each end, loading wound onto the fiberglass rod, with a
flexible whip at the end, adjustable in length, for tuning.

I'm wondering about making an extension for the base--a length of aluminum
or something, with 3/8-24 fittings at each end, and trying to get the
20meter whip's resonance down close to 30meters. Anybody tried this, have
any advice/suggestion/information? TIA!
--Ken AC4RD

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD atsign mindspring dotsign com
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old April 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 17, 3:59 pm, wrote:
I'm in a tiny apartment for a while and plan to put a Hamstick-style whip
on a mount clamped to a windowframe, to see if I can work a little PSK31.

I wanted a HF whip for 30m but couldn't easily find one. I bought whips
for 20 and 40. They're the usual things--5' fiberglass rod, 3/8-24
fittings at each end, loading wound onto the fiberglass rod, with a
flexible whip at the end, adjustable in length, for tuning.

I'm wondering about making an extension for the base--a length of aluminum
or something, with 3/8-24 fittings at each end, and trying to get the
20meter whip's resonance down close to 30meters. Anybody tried this, have
any advice/suggestion/information? TIA!
--Ken AC4RD

It would take much less length if you extended the stinger vs
extending
the base below the windings. It will take a lot of mast to tune it to
30m
if you keep the same stinger length. I'm talking in feet, not inches.
But you can extend the stinger just a few inches and tune it to 30m.
You will need to find a longer stinger if that one won't extend out
enough, and it probably won't unless there is plenty left after
tuning it for 20m. For maximum efficiency, extend both ends.

102" whip [email protected] CB 208 February 1st 06 11:08 PM
Where to buy just a whip, without a mount. [email protected] CB 7 January 27th 06 02:54 AM
102" whip [email protected] CB 3 January 26th 06 04:47 AM
Why do you use a whip antenna? Dale Shortwave 11 October 5th 04 08:25 AM
G Whip M1LCR Antenna 1 June 16th 04 08:34 PM