Old May 2nd 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gerigrimes gerigrimes is offline

Default Question for the group... (Receivers).

wrote:
Count Floyd, do you get good reception with your Hallicrafters S-38? I
own a Hallicrafters S-38 EB in very good physical and cosmetic
condition.I bought it for four dollars at a Goodwill store about ten
years ago.The radio does work, I guess it could use a good tune up by
someone who knows how to work on those old radios.I never did get around
to hooking up a proper antenna and really trying out the radio.Which
radio is supposedly better, S-38 or S-38 EB? I really dont know the
difference.
cuhulin

I had the capacitors replaced, painted the case, restored the dial
face. It is pretty sensitive on the MW band and it looks great, it is
an S-38C, made from around 1952-1955. Your radio probably has the
straight across dial, while mine has the two half-moon dials.