Old May 5th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Tokyo Radio {VolMet} Forecast on 8828 kHz (USB) @ 09:40 UTC

On May 5, 6:58*am, dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

RHF wrote:

Tokyo Radio {VolMet} Forecast on 8828 kHz (USB) @ 09:40 UTC
- - - Heard on 5 MAYO 2008
http://groups.google.com/group/short...eports/msg/58c...
S-Meter (USB) : S2~S3 with Fair Audio 35433

Auckland heard here at 1122.

At 1132, Honolulu is making mention of a volcano and volcano ash. Must be in reference
to that volcano erupting in Chile.

Must have been for a different location as I look at the list I don't see Honolulu giving
weather at that time for Chile.

- - http://www.dxinfocentre.com/volmet-wx.htm

- I haven't listened to the VOLMET's for some time,
- but about all I can say after checking a few of them
- is that propagation is very poor!

DX Ace,

Figure that a VolMet Transmission is by-design good for
600~1200 Miles to give Approching Aircraft an One to
Two Hour 'early' Weather Report Prior to Landing at the
Destination Airport.

Like WWV & WWVH and NDBs VolMet Radio Transmitters
can be used as Propagation 'indicators'.

Especially when you have different VolMet Transmitters
operating on the same Frequency during different 5-Minute
Markers {Intervals} during the Hour every Hour : 24/7.

Shortwave [HF] Volmet Broadcasts
Meteorological Information for Aircraft in Flight
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/volmet.htm
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/volmet-wx.htm
http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifim0109.htm

FWIW : I expected Honolulu Radio on 8828 kHz USB
but did not hear them; and instead caught Tokyo Radio.

Top 1000 HF Frequencies from Monitoring Times
-compiled by- Larry Van Horn for Police Call
http://www.grove-ent.com/mttopHF.html
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mttopHF.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpo.../584/swlog.htm

UTE Frequency Reference List
http://users.tellurian.com/slapshot/utelist.html

AMANDX "Utility Frequency Lists" -by- Shawn Axelrod
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/utility.html
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/utility2.html

~ RHF