Old May 29th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Adney Jim Adney is offline

Default REMOVING ENAMEL COATING

On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:18:47 -0700 (PDT) Mike Silva
wrote:

On May 26, 12:43*pm, "W3CQH" wrote:
Does anybody have the name of the substance that was sold years ago for
removing the enamel coating from wires, or maybe the name of something new?
You would soak the wire in it and it would soften the coating and then you
just wiped the goop off the wire.

I've always burned off the insulation with a lighter, removed the
remaining ash with a couple swipes of very fine sandpaper, and
tinned. Never had a problem yet.

That's what I've always done, too, but the last time I suggested it,
all I heard were lots of complaints about how much easier it was to
spend a lot of time breathing odd fumes.

Yes, there certainly was a commercial product once sold for this
purpose, but I suspect the only reason it was out there was because
they knew they couldn't make much money selling "Wire Stripper Kits"
that consisted of a book of matches.

;-)

-
Jim Adney