Old July 5th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
cliff wright cliff wright is offline

Default source of crystals for Kenwood transceiver upgrade.

Tim Wescott wrote:
cliff wright wrote:

Steve H wrote:

cliff wright wrote:

Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat,
but I would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know
how I can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Try http://www.quartslab.com/ , they are happy to supply radio
amateurs and can provide any frequency to order for a fair price.
(less than $20.00)

Steve H

Hi Jim, Tim and Steve!
Thanks for the reply. I had of course considered microprocessor
crystals and in the case of the 30.00 MHz one this wasn't a unusual
frequency.
However many units these days come with an integral oscillator.
I had tried several Xtal companies in the US and elsewhere but the
price as I had pointed out was a bit "out of sight" for such an old
rig. Also I have had a lot of trouble with US companies in both my
hobbies, Ham radio and Amateur astronomy with overseas orders.
Owing to the 820s' rather odd IF frequency (~8.3 MHz)the heterodyne
crystals are rather critical if dial and counter calibration is to be
maintained.
Very fortunately however I was contacted by Ric VK7RO in Tasmania who
had both the higher frequency units "gathering dust" from a similar
project and he not only very generously and kindly donated them to me
but pointed me in the direction of an Australian Xtal company who can
make me the 15.5000 Mhz crystal for less than half the US price and
one third the delivery time. I hope to have all the cystals to put the
820s on 10, 18 and 24 MHz in the next week or so and then will get the
job underway. As I have never worked the WARC bands so far it will be
a new experience for me !!
Regards Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Cliff, I'm glad you found a source.

And going with an in-country company is good for that sort of thing,
when you can find it.

Well, not quite OM. I'm in New Zealamd and about 2,000 Km from Tasmania.
We are still an independent country so far . Hi!!!
Cliff