Old June 30th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default source of crystals for Kenwood transceiver upgrade.

Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat, but I
would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know how I
can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Old June 30th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jun 30, 7:50*am, cliff wright wrote:
Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat, but I
would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know how I
can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Cliff -
You will note that many homebrewers prefer to use widely available
"microprocessor crystals" for all crystals. Typical prices are $0.50-
$2.00 new, and they are widely available from lots of distributors (in
the US: Mouser, Digikey, etc.)

30 MHz is a widely available microprocessor crystal available in many
holders.

The other two frequencies you want are not microprocessor crystals,
but nearby frequencies are available, and if you don't mind the dial
reading strangely will work fine. If you've added an outboard counter,
some are smart enough to do the math between the VFO and the hetrodyne
crystals and it will automagically read correctly. (Small plug: look
around and you'll find such smart dials for as little as $10.00).

23.512 MHz is widely available (I think it can be divided down to be a
baud rate generator which is why it's a "microprocessor crystal".)

15.36 MHz is also widely available.

While the microprocessor crystals are not the most pristine high-Q
crystals available with matching-Kenwood parameters, they will work
just fine for hetrodyne oscillators.

Tim N3QE
Old June 30th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

cliff wright wrote:
Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat, but I
would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know how I
can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

JAN Crystals in the US will make these up for you, as will International
Crystal Manufacturing. They're both on the web.

Dunno what difficulties you'll have getting them into New Zealand.

You may want to check to see if there are any crystal manufacturers in
other countries that may have what you need at less cost -- I'm really
only familiar with these two.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old June 30th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

cliff wright wrote:
Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat, but I
would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know how I
can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Try http://www.quartslab.com/ , they are happy to supply radio amateurs
and can provide any frequency to order for a fair price. (less than $20.00)

Steve H
Old July 5th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Steve H wrote:

cliff wright wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim, Tim and Steve!
Thanks for the reply. I had of course considered microprocessor crystals
and in the case of the 30.00 MHz one this wasn't a unusual frequency.
However many units these days come with an integral oscillator.
I had tried several Xtal companies in the US and elsewhere but the price
as I had pointed out was a bit "out of sight" for such an old rig. Also
I have had a lot of trouble with US companies in both my hobbies, Ham
radio and Amateur astronomy with overseas orders.
Owing to the 820s' rather odd IF frequency (~8.3 MHz)the heterodyne
crystals are rather critical if dial and counter calibration is to be
maintained.
Very fortunately however I was contacted by Ric VK7RO in Tasmania who
had both the higher frequency units "gathering dust" from a similar
project and he not only very generously and kindly donated them to me
but pointed me in the direction of an Australian Xtal company who can
make me the 15.5000 Mhz crystal for less than half the US price and one
third the delivery time. I hope to have all the cystals to put the 820s
on 10, 18 and 24 MHz in the next week or so and then will get the job
underway. As I have never worked the WARC bands so far it will be a new
experience for me !!
Regards Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Old July 5th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

cliff wright wrote:
Steve H wrote:

cliff wright wrote:

[...]

Cliff, I'm glad you found a source.

And going with an in-country company is good for that sort of thing,
when you can find it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old July 5th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Wescott wrote:
cliff wright wrote:

Steve H wrote:

cliff wright wrote:

[...]

Well, not quite OM. I'm in New Zealamd and about 2,000 Km from Tasmania.
We are still an independent country so far . Hi!!!
Cliff
Old July 6th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

cliff wright wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
cliff wright wrote:

Steve H wrote:

cliff wright wrote:

[...]

Whoops.

All I know about geography is that the civilized world ends at the
Mississippi river.

Which is what they think in New York, too, but those crazy folks think
that _they're_ in the civilized world!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services