Old July 14th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default ART'S ANTENNA

On Jul 13, 3:48 pm, derek wrote:
Met an old ham a couple of weeks ago he had recently moved into a
senior citizens complex and was unable to have antennas of any sort
erected, all he had was, as he put it, a piece of wire in the loft.
After a bit of thought I decided to make one of Art's antennas for
him. I made a former 16" long by 10.5"diameter and contra-wound
aprox 550' of twisted (1100' single) 19 gauge copper magnet wire onto
it, covered same in pvc tape and took it over to him yesterday
morning, he took some swr readings they were as follows.

SWR
1.8 = 1.2 :1
3.75 = 1 :1
7.075 = 1.7 :1
14.075 = 4 :1
21.075 = 6 :1

He did not have a variometer but is going to build one, will post
results when He gives them to me, I left him playing with the antenna
and he seemed to be a very happy man.

Derek

Good on you Derek. It would appear the instructions on my page
worked out OK for you.
Can you give details about the former you made and what was the length
of the turnings?
If you like I can send details on how to make the variometer and it
wouldn't surprise me if tha
local club doesn't ask you for a demonstration how to make one.
You have no idea how happy you made that ham since he can now work
anywhere
he wants to as well as the local repeaters I garantee he was not a
happy man in the old peoples home
and having the ability of just a piece of wire
Cheers
Art
Unwinantennas.com/