Old July 18th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Measure Signal Generator with Oscilloscope?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Bert Hyman wrote:

() wrote in
:

I know the scope is working because its 1K hz calibration signal
looks fine.

Well, you know that the path from the calibrator through the scope is
OK, but probably nothing about the external inputs.

The only scope calibrators I've seen have been a jack or something on the
front panel of the scope, so when you touch the probe to it, you take
into consideration the scope probe, the cable to the scope and the input
circuitry. The "scope calibrator" is as useful for a quick check like
this as an potential calibrating use.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

The 465's specs were DC to 100MHz.

And as someone pointed out when he asked elsewhere, a digitally tuned
radio will be useful. Even an analog, since you can at least tell if
the generator is putting out a signal by tuning the radio and the
generator to the same frequency, and adjusting one slightly if there's
no output (to ensure one isn't off-frequency). A shortwave radio has
the advantage over the average table radio since it can tune higher in
frequency. When I had an SP-600, it was about the best piece of test
equipment I had.

Michael VE2BVW