Old July 17th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Measure Signal Generator with Oscilloscope?

I bought an old Heathkit IG-42 "Laboratory Generator" at a flea
market
the other day. It powers up OK but I don't have anything to test it
with except a TEK 465 O-scope. I looked for an output with the scope
but couldn't find anything. I know the scope is working because its
1K hz calibration signal looks fine.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

Old July 17th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

no

Old July 17th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

skrev i en meddelelse
I bought an old Heathkit IG-42 "Laboratory Generator" at a flea
market
the other day. It powers up OK but I don't have anything to test it
with except a TEK 465 O-scope. I looked for an output with the scope
but couldn't find anything. I know the scope is working because its
1K hz calibration signal looks fine.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

- the '465 is ok for a rough testing, but you may have turned the IG-42
output level way down?

Remember, the signal level output level can be adjusted from a max of 100
millivolts down to the microvolts level - and your 'scope will not show much
if the signal level is belov approx. a few millivolts.

So, crank up the level to the max of 100 millivolts and do the measurements.

Does this help?

vy 73
OZ7S Sven

Old July 18th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Bert Hyman wrote:

() wrote in
:

I know the scope is working because its 1K hz calibration signal
looks fine.

Well, you know that the path from the calibrator through the scope is
OK, but probably nothing about the external inputs.

The only scope calibrators I've seen have been a jack or something on the
front panel of the scope, so when you touch the probe to it, you take
into consideration the scope probe, the cable to the scope and the input
circuitry. The "scope calibrator" is as useful for a quick check like
this as an potential calibrating use.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

The 465's specs were DC to 100MHz.

And as someone pointed out when he asked elsewhere, a digitally tuned
radio will be useful. Even an analog, since you can at least tell if
the generator is putting out a signal by tuning the radio and the
generator to the same frequency, and adjusting one slightly if there's
no output (to ensure one isn't off-frequency). A shortwave radio has
the advantage over the average table radio since it can tune higher in
frequency. When I had an SP-600, it was about the best piece of test
equipment I had.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 18th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Well you should see the signal fine on a 100MHz 465.
I have a very similar generator and I was just using it today to set up
some filters with no problems at ~7.8 Mhz, using a 60Mhz Telequipment scope.
Does that model Heath sig Gen have an output meter? Make sure the coarse
attenuator switch and fine level adjustments are fully clockwise. You
should get more than full scale on the meter when switched to Rf level.
If thats Ok then you should get around 100mV or more at the scope input.
Are you perhaps using a /100 probe, there are a few around. Most scope
probes are x1 or /10 switched though.
If the scope is indeed working and your trigger is set to auto with the
Y input at ~50Mv/div you should get plenty of signal at all of the
generators frequency range. If no display then you may have trigger
problems at higher freqencies with the scope.
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA

Old July 18th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 17, 11:50�am, wrote:
I bought an old Heathkit IG-42 "Laboratory Generator" at a flea
market
the other day. �It powers up OK but I don't have anything to test it
with except a TEK 465 O-scope. �I looked for an output with the scope
but couldn't find anything. �I know the scope is working because its
1K hz calibration signal looks fine.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. � Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

Any Tektronix scope from 541 on up to 465 or 475 is good enough.

I have a dusty IG-42 in the workshop (replaced by an HP606). It still
works fine and remains in power output calibration although the
frequency markings were never that good.

I almost hate to ask, but did you check the tubes inside your IG-42?
At least to see if the filaments are glowing? A couple of sheet metal
screws in the back hold the main case shell to the main assembly.

BAMA doesn't have a manual on the IG-42, just the SG-8 (the model
without the output meter or better attenuator). I have
one...somewhere
in the old stuff in the workshop. I could scan it if I can find
it...and the
nice Kodak all-in-one is working (which it isn't as of a few days
ago).

Len AF6AY