Old September 3rd 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Radio St. Helena Day 08.

David Eduardo wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
I got an email off to St. Helena this morning about the reception
report
and whether or not it
was received and if a QSL (verie, for those in Glendale) had been sent.

You are such a moron.

You are such a fraud, 'Eduardo'. Now go pretend to own something, boy.

So, you are saying that MW DXers do not call their verifications of
reception "veries" despite overwhelming evidence from all quarters that we
do?

What he's saying is, though there is standardized terminology
used at any given point for very given circumstance, there are those
who morph one term into another application at will in casual
conversation among peers.

This is not medicine. A high level of specificity is not required
for communication of the point.

BCDXers use the term verie. Hams use the term QSL. My grandfather
did the same thing.

It's like my use of the term ADI. You don't like it. It's no
longer used in the business. Fine. It's no longer used officially.

But in casual conversations with my broadcast colleagues, (as
during lunch with Kipper, Thursday, it expressed an area of specific
dimensions, and commercial implications that current terminology
expresses with other parameters and in a more verbally cumbersome
way. He understood what I was saying. I understood what I was
saying. Two Ringwraiths speaking Orc.

Who cares.

Some here have bristled, here, at the use of the term
'kilocycles' or 'megacycles.' The correct contemprorary useage is
'kilohertz' or 'megahertz.' But experienced types, with a few 9
tower arrays under their belts may easily slip into a useage that's
archaic.

So what?

It's no different than you slipping into Spanish during an
English conversation with your Hispanic colleagues.

Or my college professor friend (since high school) slipping into
Middle English to make a point in a casual conversation among his
contemporaries. We all understand him. But no one is damned pedantic
that we need to correct him. And this is a group of college professors.

Yes, 'verie' refers to MW broadcasts among BCDXers. Got it. Ham
Q-code is a different language.

Lighten up.