Old October 25th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Drifter Drifter is offline

Default MORE crap from Alaska!

Frank Dresser wrote:

The rule isn't enforced. I'd like to know if it's actually enforcable.

The subject came up on a RW article:

All in all, U.S. SW broadcasters operate in a strange, Twilight Zone kind of
world, but one that they relish. Passport's Magne believes that U.S.
shortwave broadcasters enjoy it so much that they don't want the FCC to
loosen its archaic restrictions on domestic shortwave.

"The truth is that they like it the way it is," he said. "If the rules were
changed, it could open the floodgates to more competition."

An unfair accusation? Not according to WRMI's White.

"We discussed changing the rules at the National Association of Shortwave
Broadcasters' convention a few years ago," he said. "In fact, the FCC asked
for our help in doing so. However, after some discussion, a lot of people
came to Magne's conclusion: that we're all better off just leaving things as
they are. After all, under the current regime, the FCC pretty much leaves us
alone. If the rules were changed, then they might get serious about
enforcing them."

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...rtwave_2.shtml

Frank Dresser

Frank. you do know the transmitters they are fooling with are
4 of the old seimens- OTH units? i can't remember the freqs
from back in those bad old days. but, this testing is dead
in the middle of the 40M band. if you read the postings on
eHam, it sounds like there is morn to this than meets the eye.
why would the FCC give an exp license to a small company
that trains miners? i though back in the spring it was just a
Stevens money give away to a few friends. now i'm not so sure.
i'm thinking this may be some gov set-up. OTH has been reported
out of Russia and Canada. possible, heating up over the polar
ice caps. every one has claims up there. whatever comes of this,
i see a lot of QRM coming our way.

Drifter...