Old November 15th 03, 09:54 PM
Dale Parfitt

"AA" wrote in message
Does any antenna manufacture make a 6 Meter Glass Mount Antenna? If
so,please let me know, I'm looking for one.

Thanks, N1RZB

Just installed a dual band glassmount to allow mounting a UHV-6 for the

HF/6M
rig....set up the G/M with the Alinco dual bander, checked it with the

antenna
analyzer to tweak it to the fav repeaters. Not very happy with it, even

w/low
SWR (as many have noted...a dummy load has low SWR!). Previous antenna

was a
Comet SB-15 which worked wonderfully....the glassmount is quite poor

compared
to that antenna. I'll probably add a diplexer to use the UHV-6 instead of

the
G/M and/or reinstall the SB15. A 6M antenna would be even worse, I would
imagine, as coupling it would take a larger mount. My personal opinion?

Try
for another mounting method. However, if you find a G/M 6M antenna, hope

your
experience is better than mine.

Cheers!

The original glass mount patent (now held by AES) described an end fed

1/2 wave radiator. As the bottom Z of a 1/2 wave is very high ( in the
kilOhm rnage) coupling through the glass even at HF is a no brainer. Other
advantages are that the max radiation occurs 1/2 way up the antenna, not at
the base as in a 1/4 wave and the antenna worked well on Corvettes and
fiberglass boats.
The patent was quite good- and so followers like Larsen, Valor et al were
forced into an inferior 1/4 wave design.

I have used a center loaded 1/2 wave glass mount on both 10M and 6M with
excellent results.

Dale W4OP