Old December 6th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default Sony 7600 Radios.

Bob Campbell wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

For you, perhaps. When I took my Amateur Extra test at Grumman
Aerospace last August, there were as many kids getting their licenses
as there were adults. There was much excitement. I suspect the
amount of interest in the radio hobby tracks the amount of emphasis
placed on science in general.

You keep changing the topic. I am talking about SWL, not hams getting
licenses. There is a reason why there are less SW stations
broadcasting every year. There are less people listening. This is a
fact, and no amount of anecdotal evidence from you will change this.

The subject is the radio hobby. This includes SWL and Amateur (if you
want to work both sides of the radio). I listen to radio programs via
satellite and/or the internet.

My point continues to be that, for hardware junkies, it is essential
that radio hobbyist specialty stores survive. The only way WE can help
is to buy from them, if we are looking for something that they sell, as
opposed to going to a big-box store that doesn't support the radio hobby.

If you choose to exit the hobby because the VOA cut way back on Jazz
programming, so be it.