Old December 1st 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony 7600 Radios.

On Nov 27, 7:51*am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will check * *www.jr.com* too.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin

No. *Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.
Old December 2nd 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:51 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will check www.jr.com too.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin

No. Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.

Radio. I guarantee you that Amazon dot com hates radio.
Old December 3rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 2, 8:24*am, none ""dave\"@(none)" wrote:
Radioguy wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:51 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will check * *www.jr.com*too.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin
No. *Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.

Radio. *I guarantee you that Amazon dot com hates radio.

How do you know Amazon.Com hates anything let alone radio?
Old December 4th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:51 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will check www.jr.com too.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin
No. Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.

Radio. I guarantee you that Amazon dot com hates radio.

How do you know Amazon.Com hates anything let alone radio?

A sale is a sale. Why is Amazon selling radios if Amazon "hates radio"?
How can you "guarantee" that Amazon "hates radio"?

Personally, I would buy from whoever had the best price/shipping deal.

Old December 4th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:51 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will checkwww.jr.comtoo.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin
No. Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.

Radio. I guarantee you that Amazon dot com hates radio.
How do you know Amazon.Com hates anything let alone radio?

A sale is a sale. * Why is Amazon selling radios if Amazon "hates radio"?
How can you "guarantee" that Amazon "hates radio"?

Personally, I would buy from whoever had the best price/shipping deal.

Why are you asking me whether Amazon hates radios. I haven't the
faintest idea. But the guy posting as "none" apparently has some
insight into Amazon's hidden motivation for selling radios.

Old December 4th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 2, 5:24*am, none ""dave\"@(none)" wrote:
Radioguy wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:51 am, Dave wrote:
wrote:
OK Thanks.I will check * *www.jr.com*too.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
cuhulin
No. *Buy from Grove or Universal or HRO or some other place that cares.

What is it that Grove, Universal or HRO care about that we should care
about.

- Radio. *I guarantee you that Amazon dot com hates radio.

"None" -aka- Dave -aka- DaviD,

D'Oh! Clear You have "NO" {None} Idea ;-)

now go 'a-ma-zon' your brain in a mirror ~ RHF
Old December 5th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
SWBC is a tiny part of what is on HF. Ute monitoring is an entirely
different beast. Most hams are happy to confirm reception and their
addresses are readily available.

I am into the hobby because of the hardware, and I really don't care much
what the message being transmitted is, I just enjoy intercepting it. I
get excited by innovation, like mechanical filters, SSB, synchronous AM
detection, and now DSP/SDR.

You are part of a very small (and shrinking) group. Just like "computer
hobbyists" who are "into the hardware" are a shrinking group. 30 years
ago, all computer users were "computer hobbyists". I was a "computer
hobbyist", I had a TRS-80 in 1978. People looked at it and asked "what can
you do with that"?

The vast majority of computer buyers these days aren't "computer hobbyists".
They don't care what motherboard and chipset the box has. They don't care
what brand of hard drive, ram or video card is installed. They just want
to take it home, plug it in and get on the internet. The computer is just
another appliance.

Times change. Today's kids don't get excited by receiving a crappy analog
signal on some big radio with 17 knobs. Forget about a signal that they
don't even care what the message is! Any "signal" they receive needs to
be digital, be crystal clear and be easy to receive. No one wants to fuss
with antennas, or worry about propagation issues. Those are so 20th
century!

The reason the "SW radio hobby" is dead is because both the content and the
delivery medium are both woefully outdated. Today it is all about
"podcasting", MP3s and satellite "radio". The days of getting a thrill
from "intercepting a signal" are long gone.

Old December 6th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Campbell wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

For you, perhaps. When I took my Amateur Extra test at Grumman
Aerospace last August, there were as many kids getting their licenses
as there were adults. There was much excitement. I suspect the
amount of interest in the radio hobby tracks the amount of emphasis
placed on science in general.

You keep changing the topic. I am talking about SWL, not hams getting
licenses. There is a reason why there are less SW stations
broadcasting every year. There are less people listening. This is a
fact, and no amount of anecdotal evidence from you will change this.

The subject is the radio hobby. This includes SWL and Amateur (if you
want to work both sides of the radio). I listen to radio programs via
satellite and/or the internet.

My point continues to be that, for hardware junkies, it is essential
that radio hobbyist specialty stores survive. The only way WE can help
is to buy from them, if we are looking for something that they sell, as
opposed to going to a big-box store that doesn't support the radio hobby.

If you choose to exit the hobby because the VOA cut way back on Jazz
programming, so be it.
Old December 6th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
My point continues to be that, for hardware junkies, it is essential that
radio hobbyist specialty stores survive. The only way WE can help is to
buy from them, if we are looking for something that they sell, as opposed
to going to a big-box store that doesn't support the radio hobby.

Of the dozens and dozens of radios I own, none were bought at a "radio
hobbyist specialty store". All were bought either locally, on eBay or on
CompuServe (long before eBay).

I understand your point, and with all the radios I own I guess I qualify as
a "hardware junkie". Still, I'm just not interested in paying more than I
have to.