Old December 14th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default FA: MOPA 2-Tube Transmitter Instant Junkbox parts assortment

raypsi wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:
I had this idea a while back, to thin out my stuff in what I think is
a useful and interesting way. Along the way I ended up having to buy
a bunch of new stuff as well (e.g. the brand new tune and load
variable caps). So take a look - might be a fun way to spend some
winter evenings.

73,
Mike, KK6GM

Hey OM

I should has learned to play the guitar. Instead I got into
electronics built my first xmitter in '67 using a 6BQ5 xtal osc and
6146A final.
Everything was hot. I used series twist lock caps in the ps, B&W coil,
with aligator clip adjust, multi elmac plate and tune caps, a tv set
power xformer, all that on a punched out 5x7x2 LMB chassis. Even the
Key was hot as I keyed the screen of the 6146A.

73 OM
n8zu

I didn't build a transmitter when I got my Novice License (in my teens),
though I did start collecting parts to do so. I was going to build a
rig using a 6GK6 oscillator and an 807 final. But, on Washington's
birthday I went down to Harrison's in NYC for their big yearly sale.
They had a stack of Elmac AF67 transmitters for about $15 each, so I got
one. I had to build a power supply for it though. This I did using a
junk salvaged from old TV sets found curbside on garbage pick up days.

I used to ride around the neighborhood on my bicycle looking for thrown
out TV sets. I carried enough tools with me to pull a chassis out of a
cabinet and lug it home. Then I'd tear it apart in the basement and
keep the goodies.

Seems all of those AF67's had the same problem, burned out modulation
transformers. But they worked great on CW with crystal control. Some
of them also had bad VFO's.

Years later when my brother got his novice license we found him a used
Lafayette HA350 receiver and I built him a two tube transmitter.
Actually I used parts from my now defunct AF67 stuffed into a large
minibox as a chassis. It used the 6GK6 (from the junk box) and a 6146
in the final (from the AF67). I wonder if he still has that transmitter
lost in his basement? I might want it (and the HA350) back.