Old December 8th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default FA: MOPA 2-Tube Transmitter Instant Junkbox parts assortment

I had this idea a while back, to thin out my stuff in what I think is
a useful and interesting way. Along the way I ended up having to buy
a bunch of new stuff as well (e.g. the brand new tune and load
variable caps). So take a look - might be a fun way to spend some
winter evenings.

73,
Mike, KK6GM
Old December 11th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 8, 12:07*pm, wrote:
I had this idea a while back, to thin out my stuff in what I think is
a useful and interesting way. *Along the way I ended up having to buy
a bunch of new stuff as well (e.g. the brand new tune and load
variable caps). *So take a look - might be a fun way to spend some
winter evenings.

73,
Mike, KK6GM

Hey OM

I should has learned to play the guitar. Instead I got into
electronics built my first xmitter in '67 using a 6BQ5 xtal osc and
6146A final.
Everything was hot. I used series twist lock caps in the ps, B&W coil,
with aligator clip adjust, multi elmac plate and tune caps, a tv set
power xformer, all that on a punched out 5x7x2 LMB chassis. Even the
Key was hot as I keyed the screen of the 6146A.

73 OM
n8zu
Old December 12th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 11, 3:58*pm, raypsi wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:07*pm, wrote:

[...]

That's pretty impressive, fitting that on a 5x7 chassis!

Mike
Old December 12th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote in message
On Dec 11, 3:58 pm, raypsi wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

(Actually 5ft x 7ft !) ;-)

Old December 13th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 12, 6:09*pm, "Theo" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 11, 3:58 pm, raypsi wrote:

On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

(Actually 5ft x 7ft !) *;-)- Hide quoted text -

You mean kinda like this?

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/SCAN0006.jpg

Old December 13th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 13, 1:49*pm, wrote:
On Dec 12, 6:09*pm, "Theo" wrote:

wrote in message

On Dec 11, 3:58 pm, raypsi wrote:

On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

My neighbor gave me one of those 5 tube AM BCB radio kits back when I
was a kid. It was part of an electronics correspondence course he was
taking. The idea was to put it together breadboard fashion on the
schematic then when you got it working move it to the chassis. I
thought it was cool just keeping it on the breadboard and hauled it
around for years until it finally got stolen out of storage about 20
years ago. Over the years I had tested several mods on it. HF
converters, adding another IF stage, a BFO, Q multiplier and reworked
the series filament string for parallel operation. I'm sure if it was
still around I would still be tinkering with it.

Jimmie
Old December 14th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

raypsi wrote:
On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

I didn't build a transmitter when I got my Novice License (in my teens),
though I did start collecting parts to do so. I was going to build a
rig using a 6GK6 oscillator and an 807 final. But, on Washington's
birthday I went down to Harrison's in NYC for their big yearly sale.
They had a stack of Elmac AF67 transmitters for about $15 each, so I got
one. I had to build a power supply for it though. This I did using a
junk salvaged from old TV sets found curbside on garbage pick up days.

I used to ride around the neighborhood on my bicycle looking for thrown
out TV sets. I carried enough tools with me to pull a chassis out of a
cabinet and lug it home. Then I'd tear it apart in the basement and
keep the goodies.

Seems all of those AF67's had the same problem, burned out modulation
transformers. But they worked great on CW with crystal control. Some
of them also had bad VFO's.

Years later when my brother got his novice license we found him a used
Lafayette HA350 receiver and I built him a two tube transmitter.
Actually I used parts from my now defunct AF67 stuffed into a large
minibox as a chassis. It used the 6GK6 (from the junk box) and a 6146
in the final (from the AF67). I wonder if he still has that transmitter
lost in his basement? I might want it (and the HA350) back.
Old December 27th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 13, 3:49*pm, wrote:
On Dec 12, 6:09*pm, "Theo" wrote:

wrote in message

On Dec 11, 3:58 pm, raypsi wrote:

On Dec 8, 12:07 pm, wrote:

[...]

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p.../SCAN0006.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Hey. Notice how everyone in that picture is wearing a tie? The guy on
the left is wearing a bow tie, I thnk? Proper dressing; these days we
are too sloppy; eh? Cheers.