Old December 20th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Eduardo - Serious Question For You

wrote in message

If I understand, you seem to think this was a successful year and the
HD radio "deployment" is on track?

No station operator I have talked with thinks or ever though this would be
anything but a slow transition. First, there had to be stations, and all
that are needed to drive the market are already on with HD.

Do you think iBiquity investors
will ever want to see a return on their investment?

It is going to take longer with a recession, but one of the reasons
broadcasters financed part of the startup was to allow iBiquity, like the
biomedical firms, plenty of time to achieve the industry goals.

Are broadcasters
pleased with consumer response to HD radio?

There is no way to be pleased until we see low power consumption chips
arrive. Remember the patience of radio: it took Arbitron over 12 years to
get the People Meter deployed, and the reason for patience on both sides of
that equation was the need for technology to catch up to the theory.

Is HD radio making any
money or is it still sustained by investor dollars?

It does not cost very much to keep it going once it is on the air; a bunch
of stations are making money selling HD2 or HD3 channels for narrowcasting,
like a national Hindi network on HD.

Doesn't it all
come down to paying the bills? Will HD radio have enough time to wait
on consumers and receiver technology to catch up?

Sure. Not much cost.

There still seems to be many serious issues about the whole thing. Not
to mention the fact that the FCC might have crossed the line
concerning its relationship to iBiquity.

The argument for that is a reach by the HD opponents, who have neither logic
not facts on their side.