Old April 3rd 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default American interpretation

Many on this newsgroup are aware of my views on radiation which I then
took to the QRZ antenna page because of the fraustration created by
lack of knowledge of equilibrium by the average american.
I have now run into another interpretation by americans which differ
from the european aspect and that is Newtons third law with respect to
reaction . Definitions on the net view this law as an equal and
diametrically opposite force where Newton never used the word
"diametrically". English law is based on the intention provided by the
words of the law such that it becomes unchanged thru time. American
law does not define "intention" thus the law can and does change over
time creating appeals against the intent of words.
One definition of Newton's law on the net shows two skaters pushing
against each other as an illustration of the law. But Newton's
"intent" was in the olde english where "opposite" was viewed in a
different way.
If you view a helicopter the front rotor is in a horizontal plane and
rotating clockwise thus per Newton the resulting action is a rotator
at the rear that is rotating in a "vertical " plane and rotating
counter clockwise to maintain equilibrium. Another example is a
caramel bar that is placed under tension which produces a force at
right angles that narrows the cross section and the sample fails in
shear at 45 degrees ( vector resultant of the two forces)
I bring this up because of what I have stated earlier about radiation
on this newsgroup, where the applied force is electrical on a radiator
and per Newton the reaction is at right angle to that force which is
called the displacement current ( capacitive magnetic field). No
wonder Einstein gave up on the pursuit of radiation because as a
german had no understanding of olde english and thus was looking for a
equal and diametrically opposite force in his search for the "weak
force." He was correct in his prediction of it's presence with respect
to radiation but, unfortunately, was looking in the wrong place and
thus relativity was born!
Regards
Art KB9MZ....XG (uk)