Old April 8th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

Bill M wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
If you go onto an American military base in Germany today, you'll still
see Edison outlets at 110V. Americans have always carried our power with
us wherever we have gone.

But in the summer of 1944, you would not have found any (110 volt
power or US bases) in Europe. The whole point of the unit was to be
a portable radio station, not something you had to build a base around.

I thought France was still on 110 in those days. I've restored some
French sets both pre and post war, some I think were 110 only.

France was spotty, with some places being 110 and other places being 220
and a few places having weird line frequencies too. This led to a legacy
of lots of weird incompatible light bulb bases too, which the EU is only
finally getting cleaned up.

Remember, this was an era when there were no large scale power grids,
and individual cities had their own generating plant and their own
standards. Well, Germany started to have a grid, but we took it out....
--scott