Old April 10th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default Dish reflector

On Apr 10, 1:07*pm, "Rollie" wrote:
Maybe the coax ground is insufficent and a seperate ground from mother earth
is required.....Maybe

"Art Unwin" wrote in message

I made a helical end fed antenna that is inside a cone shaped
reflector
The reflector is made from 1/2" mesh steel with an aluminum foil liner
and connected to the braid of the feed coax. No baluns are used, just
direct connections.
I was surprised to hear signals from the rear!
I thought that a dish reflector prevented such signals getting to the
receiver. So what can be wrong with the reflector or can signals get
reflected back from the frontal area? Antenna is at a 40 foot height
Any ideas as to what the fault could be?
Regards
Art
I have no experience with dishes thus the question Note, the helical
antenna does not protrude beyond the dish envelope.
Art

Rollie
I checked.
The coax ground and the reflector is grounded at the same place at the
top of the tower. All horizontal coax is buried. Seems like the dish
reflector does not get a lot of attention from ham operators !
Art