Old May 21st 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default ATU: Correct way to specify impedance range

On May 21, 11:30*am, wrote:
I was expecting that this only happens in the Netherlands. *I have
some (modern) software where the default plot method is Schmit
Chart...

I agree with the contour plot on a Smith Chart showing losses (and
power handling) for Antenna Tuners.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJSwww.tetech.nl
forget first three letters of the alphabet in the PM

Since the points plotted on a Smith chart are simply complex
reflection coefficient plotted on a linear grid, it would be fine with
me if they'd just plot the range of complex reflection coefficient
over which the tuner will operate (perhaps plus contours of constant
loss and power handling ability). The graphs would look identically
the same, except for the grid. I don't suppose any more hams
understand complex reflection coefficient than understand Smith
charts, though.

The Smith chart, to me, remains a very valuable _visualization_ tool.
It matters not how the points on it were calculated or measured. I
think it will always be the case that information properly presented
graphically will generally be easier to understand and easier to draw
conclusions from than information presented in text in tabular form.
Some graphical tools, such as the Smith chart, are worth getting to
know, even if you don't use the chart itself to do calculations,
deferring instead to other calculators for that part. Pictures,
often, are worth much more than 1000 words.

Cheers,
Tom