Old June 18th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge Dave Oldridge is offline

Default Coax + Ladder Line

"Kash J. Rangan" wrote in
:

Is it advisable to use a combination of Coax and a ladder line to feed
a simple horizontal multiband dipole antenna?

In my new QTH it would be very easy for me to get a short run of coax
out of my shack window but I would like to use a low loss ladder line
for the main run up to the antenna feed point. Is it OK to place a 4:1
balun just outside of the window for the transition?

If your antenna is balanced, it would probably be better to simply split
the ladder line onto the center conducters of two identical short coaxes
and then run ladder line inside to your tuner. If you MUST ground the
shields that's OK and you can use lightning arrestors on both coaxes. But
remember, no lighning arrestor is as good for protecting equipment as a
foot or two of air. Disconnecting during thunderstorms is solid policy!

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 454777283