Old June 30th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Pete[_6_] Pete[_6_] is offline

Default ft747gx encoder replacement

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:49:26 -0700, Matt Murphy wrote:

All,
I have the regular frequency hopping issue common to the FT-747gx. One
time I came across someone that replaced the clicking vfo knob/ encoder
with a smooth encoder. Does anyone know of someone that has done this?
I hate the clicking when trying to tune.

I can't remember now but I had thought they used a 757 or 767 encoder.
If I remember right (probably not) it was not a drop in replacement but
had to be hotwired. Yaesu, of course, will not say anything more than
what the direct replacement is.

If memory serves me right, there may be some pots associated with the
optical encoder timing.

Alternatively, if the part is no longer available, allot of the old
encoders use generic opto-couplers that can be replaced. One of the three
must be out

Or, there is dirt blocking the optics

Hope this helps