Old June 29th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default ft747gx encoder replacement

All,
I have the regular frequency hopping issue common to the FT-747gx.
One time I came across someone that replaced the clicking vfo knob/
encoder with a smooth encoder. Does anyone know of someone that has
done this? I hate the clicking when trying to tune.

I can't remember now but I had thought they used a 757 or 767
encoder. If I remember right (probably not) it was not a drop in
replacement but had to be hotwired. Yaesu, of course, will not say
anything more than what the direct replacement is.

Thanks for your help.
matt
Old June 29th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Matt Murphy wrote:
All,
I have the regular frequency hopping issue common to the FT-747gx.
One time I came across someone that replaced the clicking vfo knob/
encoder with a smooth encoder. Does anyone know of someone that has
done this? I hate the clicking when trying to tune.

I can't remember now but I had thought they used a 757 or 767
encoder. If I remember right (probably not) it was not a drop in
replacement but had to be hotwired. Yaesu, of course, will not say
anything more than what the direct replacement is.

Thanks for your help.
matt

Take a look at the encoder for the FT-890, it is magnetic, and might work.
If I remember the Ft-890 is an upgraded FT-747 .

Bob
Old June 30th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:49:26 -0700, Matt Murphy wrote:

All,
I have the regular frequency hopping issue common to the FT-747gx. One
time I came across someone that replaced the clicking vfo knob/ encoder
with a smooth encoder. Does anyone know of someone that has done this?
I hate the clicking when trying to tune.

I can't remember now but I had thought they used a 757 or 767 encoder.
If I remember right (probably not) it was not a drop in replacement but
had to be hotwired. Yaesu, of course, will not say anything more than
what the direct replacement is.

If memory serves me right, there may be some pots associated with the
optical encoder timing.

Alternatively, if the part is no longer available, allot of the old
encoders use generic opto-couplers that can be replaced. One of the three
must be out

Or, there is dirt blocking the optics

Hope this helps
Old July 12th 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Jun 29, 11:25*am, Robert Kubichek wrote:
Matt Murphy wrote:
All,
I have the regular frequency hopping issue common to the FT-747gx.
One time I came across someone that replaced the clicking vfo knob/
encoder with a smooth encoder. *Does anyone know of someone that has
done this? *I hate the clicking when trying to tune.

I can't remember now but I had thought they used a 757 or 767
encoder. *If I remember right (probably not) it was not a drop in
replacement but had to be hotwired. *Yaesu, of course, will not say
anything more than what the direct replacement is.

Thanks for your help.
matt

Take a look at the encoder for the FT-890, it is magnetic, and might work..
If I remember the Ft-890 is an upgraded FT-747 *.

Bob

I will look into these and see. What I remember from the post I once
saw was that they had to hotwire the encoder they used. I have not
found a drop in replacement other than the original part.

Matt
Old July 12th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Jun 30, 1:05*pm, Pete wrote:
[...]

The encoder issue I am having is not an unusual thing. Most 747's get
this issue. I would have thought that at least someone else had done
the replacement using another encoder. The most annoying thing about
it is it not having the smooth dial to spin.

Matt

Old July 12th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Sorry about the late replies. I was on vacation and forgot to check
this post.

Matt