Old July 2nd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
KD7HB KD7HB is offline

Default Noise Immune type of Antenna

On Jul 2, 4:25*am, (Brad) wrote:
Hi,

* * *I like to listen to ham radio HF bands and short wave broadcasts, but
I often have intermittent power line noise. *I found a source (power pole,
possibly bad insulator), but when the person from the power company came out
to investigate my complaint, the noise wasn't there (intermittent).

* * *Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines is one
way to lower power line noise, but unfortunately, the power lines run North to
South where I live. * My wire antenna also runs North to South so it "favors"
East and West, which is what I want.

* * *Can anyone recommend a noise immune type of antenna that is less
sensitive to power line noise?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks in advance, *Brad

* Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
*be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Hi, Brad.
My previous home was adjacent to a primary power distribution line
with three high voltage three phase lines, plus a residential
distribution line. Sometimes noise was fierce. I made a folded dipole
antenna out of 300 ohm TV twin lead, cut for the 75 meter ham band.
When first hooked to a receiver, I thought the receiver had died, but
eventually found a signal and it was working fine. Just no more noise
from the power lines.

If you can find a length of twin lead, try a folded dipole. I
currently use a horizontal loop antenna and it, too, is very low noise
pickup.

Paul, KD7HB