Old July 2nd 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Noise Immune type of Antenna

Hi,

I like to listen to ham radio HF bands and short wave broadcasts, but
I often have intermittent power line noise. I found a source (power pole,
possibly bad insulator), but when the person from the power company came out
to investigate my complaint, the noise wasn't there (intermittent).

Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines is one
way to lower power line noise, but unfortunately, the power lines run North to
South where I live. My wire antenna also runs North to South so it "favors"
East and West, which is what I want.

Can anyone recommend a noise immune type of antenna that is less
sensitive to power line noise?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Old July 2nd 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Brad wrote:
Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines is one
way to lower power line noise ...

Not necessarily. At my previous QTH, the power line
noise was mostly vertically polarized coming from
a 30 foot ground wire running down from a capacitor.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old July 2nd 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:25:37 +0000, Brad wrote:

[...]

You might get some relief by grounding the antenna for DC. Since you are
not using the wire for transmitting (am I reading the above correctly?),
you can easily ground the wire using an RF choke or a so-called magnetic
balun. Perhaps a 1 mH or so choke from the end of the wire to ground.
The balun is basically just a toroid transformer that allows you to
isolate the wire from the radio and ground the wire directly.

No guarantee of effectiveness, but either is easy and cheap to do and
won't harm the radio.

--
Rich W2RG
Old July 2nd 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Since your noise seems to be primarily coming from this single noisy
source, you might consider buying one of those noise cancellers such as
the MFJ-1026 and learn how to use it. They do work well under such
circumstances as you describe.

Better, though, to persist with the power company until they can take
care of the problem.

Ed K7AAT

..
Old July 2nd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 2, 4:25*am, (Brad) wrote:
Hi,

* * *I like to listen to ham radio HF bands and short wave broadcasts, but
I often have intermittent power line noise. *I found a source (power pole,
possibly bad insulator), but when the person from the power company came out
to investigate my complaint, the noise wasn't there (intermittent).

* * *Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines is one
way to lower power line noise, but unfortunately, the power lines run North to
South where I live. * My wire antenna also runs North to South so it "favors"
East and West, which is what I want.

* * *Can anyone recommend a noise immune type of antenna that is less
sensitive to power line noise?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks in advance, *Brad

* Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
*be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Hi, Brad.
My previous home was adjacent to a primary power distribution line
with three high voltage three phase lines, plus a residential
distribution line. Sometimes noise was fierce. I made a folded dipole
antenna out of 300 ohm TV twin lead, cut for the 75 meter ham band.
When first hooked to a receiver, I thought the receiver had died, but
eventually found a signal and it was working fine. Just no more noise
from the power lines.

If you can find a length of twin lead, try a folded dipole. I
currently use a horizontal loop antenna and it, too, is very low noise
pickup.

Paul, KD7HB

Old July 2nd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:25:37 +0000, Brad wrote:

Hi,

I like to listen to ham radio HF bands and short wave broadcasts,
but
I often have intermittent power line noise. I found a source (power
pole, possibly bad insulator), but when the person from the power
company came out to investigate my complaint, the noise wasn't there
(intermittent).

Running a wire antenna perpendicular (not parallel) to power lines
is one
way to lower power line noise, but unfortunately, the power lines run
North to South where I live. My wire antenna also runs North to South
so it "favors" East and West, which is what I want.

Can anyone recommend a noise immune type of antenna that is less
sensitive to power line noise?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before I discovered the T2FD, the noise was soo bad that I never pursued
my ticket. The T2FD's balanced nature reduced local QRM from S9 to S1.

Some people here will tell you all the problems with this type of antenna
but I've had great fun over the last 4 years. I constructed mine from
plans off the web but you can purchase these already to fly.
Old July 2nd 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The T2FD antenna is an option. Google it! Greetz

"Brad" schreef in bericht
[...]

Immune Neo-Communists Airdrop Propaganda Artists into Anchorage [email protected] Shortwave 0 September 10th 08 01:30 AM
noise antenna? ml Antenna 6 July 16th 07 06:36 PM
"Noise" antenna for MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer" Eric Antenna 1 February 24th 07 06:01 PM
HELP!! More Antenna Noise [email protected] Antenna 2 August 8th 06 05:31 AM
Shortwave Listening (SWL) Noise in Urban {Downtown) Location - Anti-Jammimg {Anti-Man-Made-Noise} Shortwave Antenna System RHF Shortwave 0 March 29th 06 05:25 AM