Old July 27th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Will[_3_] Will[_3_] is offline

Default Portable Operation

On Jul 27, 2:43*am, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:
I'm bringing an HF rig to the mountains of Colorado next week. I just
finished assembling a travel kit of dipole elements for 10, 15 and 20. *I
have ropes, pulleys, wire elements, baluns, cable, connectors, a tuner, VSWR
meter, etc. * There's no electricity except for a very few generators, so
typical urban noise should be absent. *Joy!

What's the custom for transmitting my I-D? * I think it's "KD6VKW, PORTABLE
ZERO." *It might be "KD6VKW, STROKE ZERO." *I've heard both variations and I
searched for about 20 minutes and only found that in the US I'm apparently
not legally required to transmit anything after my callsign. *It's optional.

I know the county and grid square. *Since some hams hunt counties and grid
squares, should I include either when I call CQ? *Opinions, please.

TKS
"Sal"
KD6VKW

Have fun Sal and let us know how you made out .Please include logs and
itinerary