Old July 27th 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Portable Operation

I'm bringing an HF rig to the mountains of Colorado next week. I just
finished assembling a travel kit of dipole elements for 10, 15 and 20. I
have ropes, pulleys, wire elements, baluns, cable, connectors, a tuner, VSWR
meter, etc. There's no electricity except for a very few generators, so
typical urban noise should be absent. Joy!

What's the custom for transmitting my I-D? I think it's "KD6VKW, PORTABLE
ZERO." It might be "KD6VKW, STROKE ZERO." I've heard both variations and I
searched for about 20 minutes and only found that in the US I'm apparently
not legally required to transmit anything after my callsign. It's optional.

I know the county and grid square. Since some hams hunt counties and grid
squares, should I include either when I call CQ? Opinions, please.

TKS
"Sal"
KD6VKW

Old July 27th 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A couple of things.
Don't forget to take a couple of stakes and a fairly large hammer, you
might need them. To hold the ends of those antenna lines, or maybe
for a piece of gear that is frustrating you?

As for encluding everyting someone might possibly want to know in that
'CQ', it'd probably take 15 minutes to send it. Why not just let'em
ask when they answer your CQ?
- 'Doc

Old July 27th 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message
[...]

You are not required to send anything but your call as you mentioned. If
you want to , you can add almost anything after it. For voice , portable
is/was used. The Stroke was used in CW.
If using voice, you may want to say "portable Colorado" if you are not
getting any response to your CQs.

Old July 27th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

[...]

"Portable" is usually interesting enough to get someone's attention.
Inevitably, if anyone happens to be tuning around and finds you and cares to
answer a CQ at all they will call you. If you give out all your exchange in
a CQ, why should they call you if they already have every thing they need
from you?

I have no problem with a continuous beacon as long as you are QSK but there
are a lot of people out there that have their own ideas of how things should
be done and want to police others, so good luck. I have better luck giving
another station a call. This at least occupies the frequency with chatter
that people can find, then QSY 10 kc and give a call. If you weren't too
boring, you will have a pile up. If you don't hear anyone on the band at
all, maybe the band is dead.

Old July 27th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:43:47 -0700, Sal M. Onella wrote:

What's the custom for transmitting my I-D? I think it's "KD6VKW, PORTABLE
ZERO." It might be "KD6VKW, STROKE ZERO." I've heard both variations and I
searched for about 20 minutes and only found that in the US I'm apparently
not legally required to transmit anything after my callsign. It's optional.

Loosen up, Sal! :-)
And, mix it up!!
You're not going to call CQ one time, and one time only!

Sometimes "CQ FROM KD6VKW PORTABLE ZERO"
Sometimes "CQ FROM KD6VKW PORTABLE COLORADO"
Sometimes "CQ FROM KD6VKW DELTA MIKE SIXTY EIGHT"
Sometimes "CQ FROM KD6VKW"
Sometimes "CQ FROM KD6VKW HIGH ATOP FAIRVIEW PEAK"

Let'em know on the other end that you're not just an "electronic voice "keyer".

(Although I have *no* idea what this has to do with antennas...)

Enjoy Colorado!

73
"JONESY COLORADO" HI!HI!
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Old July 27th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 27, 2:43*am, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:
[...]

Have fun Sal and let us know how you made out .Please include logs and
itinerary
Old July 28th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"'Doc" wrote in message
A couple of things.
Don't forget to take a couple of stakes and a fairly large hammer, you
might need them. To hold the ends of those antenna lines, or maybe
for a piece of gear that is frustrating you?

As for encluding everyting someone might possibly want to know in that
'CQ', it'd probably take 15 minutes to send it. Why not just let'em
ask when they answer your CQ?
- 'Doc

Good advice all around. Thanks, Doc.

Sal

Old July 28th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JB" wrote in message

snip

I have no problem with a continuous beacon as long as you are QSK but

there
are a lot of people out there that have their own ideas of how things

should
be done and want to police others, so good luck. I have better luck

giving
another station a call. This at least occupies the frequency with chatter
that people can find, then QSY 10 kc and give a call. If you weren't too
boring, you will have a pile up. If you don't hear anyone on the band at
all, maybe the band is dead.

I have plenty of experience with a dead band. Don't we all?

I have generally had good luck throwing out a CQ. I offer
as many CQs as I answer, just to maintain a balance.

San Diego isn't much of a foundation for a pileup but Gunnison County,
Colorado might be.

Sal

Old July 28th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Will" wrote in message

Have fun Sal and let us know how you made out .Please include logs and
itinerary

Will do.

Sal

P5 Operation? N2TU Dx 6 July 30th 05 01:33 PM
"Remote Base" operation with the Kenwood TH-F6A (was: "Remote Base" operation with Icom IC-2720H) [email protected] Equipment 10 September 10th 03 03:56 AM
"Remote Base" operation with the Kenwood TH-F6A (was: "Remote Base" operation with Icom IC-2720H) [email protected] Equipment 0 September 9th 03 02:56 PM
IC 4AT operation? mrmexico General 4 September 9th 03 01:10 PM
IC 4AT operation? mrmexico General 0 September 9th 03 12:58 AM