Old July 28th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Portable Operation

"JB" wrote in message

snip

I have no problem with a continuous beacon as long as you are QSK but

there
are a lot of people out there that have their own ideas of how things

should
be done and want to police others, so good luck. I have better luck

giving
another station a call. This at least occupies the frequency with chatter
that people can find, then QSY 10 kc and give a call. If you weren't too
boring, you will have a pile up. If you don't hear anyone on the band at
all, maybe the band is dead.

I have plenty of experience with a dead band. Don't we all?

I have generally had good luck throwing out a CQ. I offer
as many CQs as I answer, just to maintain a balance.

San Diego isn't much of a foundation for a pileup but Gunnison County,
Colorado might be.

Sal