Old August 21st 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default removing guy wires on tower

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"'Doc" wrote in message
Just from what you've posted, your tower sounds sort of 'marginal' to
start with. I would be very careful in loosening any of those guys.
- 'Doc

Unless I missed something when I described the tower, what is marginal ?
The first section of tower is set in a yard of cement as described in the
Rohn booklet. Also they only require two sets of guy wires up to 70 feet.
I live in the middle of North Carolina so a large build up of ice or very
high winds ( say over 90 mph) would be unusual.

On the "internets", there is always someone for whom your tower setup is
not acceptable. Doesn't matter how well made and installed, there's
something wrong with it, and it will come crashing down, causing you
great liability problems.

Anyhow, being that the tower and guys are part of a system, I'd either
have the loppers take the tree down in stages with sections roped down,
or install temporary guys. Th/e first method is much easier and cheaper.

- 73 d eMike N3LI -