Old September 26th 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bushcraftgregg Bushcraftgregg is offline

Default Question: Who's knowledgable about FRoG-8800's?

On Sep 25, 6:43*am, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
Just got one of these. When I pulled it out of the box all it did was light
up the backlight on the display. I found online that this indicates a bad
backup battery. I figured this must be separate from the memory backup
batteries, lest the radio crap out when those batteries were pulled for
replacement, but all I could find were those batteries.

So, I disconnected the memory backup batteries, pulled the AC plug, left it
all with no power for a couple minutes, and then reconnected the memory
backup batteries and plugged it in. AHA! I got a display! And the VFO
frequency changed with the dial, but still no sound, and the display was
blinking.

I noticed the fine tuning control, and centered that, just because I'm that
nit-picky. Checking that the control was indeed in its center position, I
continued to turn it to the right, and my display stopped blinking, and I
got audio. Turning it back to the left, I found that I lost audio and the
display started blinking again at a point just past the center of the
control.

*I readjusted the control to just the point where it was stable, and started
tuning around, and the radio works fine on all frequencies (like I can
really TELL with my noise level!)

So, my question is, since I have no schematic and so have no way to track
the problem down, how do I correct this problem, which I assume is the PLL
going out of lock when the fine tuning control is rotated much past the
center to the left? The radio seems to be great other than this minor flaw,
and I would like to get it fixed.

It is also noted that the problem does not seem to present itself in either
SSB mode, where I can fine tune all the way to either end of the control
without the PLL going out of lock.

Oh my Lord, BA got her a new radio.:-) What made
you decide too take the leap?