Old September 25th 09, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question: Who's knowledgable about FRoG-8800's?

Just got one of these. When I pulled it out of the box all it did was light
up the backlight on the display. I found online that this indicates a bad
backup battery. I figured this must be separate from the memory backup
batteries, lest the radio crap out when those batteries were pulled for
replacement, but all I could find were those batteries.

So, I disconnected the memory backup batteries, pulled the AC plug, left it
all with no power for a couple minutes, and then reconnected the memory
backup batteries and plugged it in. AHA! I got a display! And the VFO
frequency changed with the dial, but still no sound, and the display was
blinking.

I noticed the fine tuning control, and centered that, just because I'm that
nit-picky. Checking that the control was indeed in its center position, I
continued to turn it to the right, and my display stopped blinking, and I
got audio. Turning it back to the left, I found that I lost audio and the
display started blinking again at a point just past the center of the
control.

I readjusted the control to just the point where it was stable, and started
tuning around, and the radio works fine on all frequencies (like I can
really TELL with my noise level!)

So, my question is, since I have no schematic and so have no way to track
the problem down, how do I correct this problem, which I assume is the PLL
going out of lock when the fine tuning control is rotated much past the
center to the left? The radio seems to be great other than this minor flaw,
and I would like to get it fixed.

It is also noted that the problem does not seem to present itself in either
SSB mode, where I can fine tune all the way to either end of the control
without the PLL going out of lock.

--
Illigitimus non-tatum carborundum.

Don't let the *******s wear you down!

Old September 26th 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 25, 6:43*am, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
[...]

Oh my Lord, BA got her a new radio.:-) What made
you decide too take the leap?
Old September 26th 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message

Oh my Lord, BA got her a new radio.:-) What made
you decide too take the leap?

Not new.. just new to me. Last NEW radio I bought was an Eton E1-XM (should
have bought the non-XM model, since I got no use for XM over here). With my
new shop up on the roof of the house, I may be able to wrangle a bit quieter
antenna setup.. a nice vertical should be great..

Got a second E1-XM a while back. Got it cheap, and even after paying Drake
to fix it (CPU was froze up), I have less than $200 in it. Pretty decent
deal, considering I even got the XM tuner with this one (still can't use it,
but it's there).

Old September 26th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Found the problem. The schematic that Toxic linked me too helped a lot
(amazing how much easier it is to track things down with paperwork). The
problem ended up being a coil in the circuit with the fine tuning and
crystal was just in need of a (very) minor tweak. Less than 1/8 turn of the
slug and the oscillator snapped to life as stable as you please. Now I can
just pray for a power failure so I can hear something below S-7. RCI on
11240 was 60dB over S-9 and clear as a bell (I could hear them on a crystal
set).

Thanks for the help.